Triumph is proud moment for Kerala cricketers

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2944816306.jpg
Dubai: Raiphi Vincent Gomez, who bowled Kochi Tuskers to a stunning victory over the star-studded Kolkata Knight Riders, is delighted with not only with his performance but also his team-mates from Kerala.

Speaking to Gulf News, Gomez, who is also the captain of the Kerala Ranji Trophy team, said: "Players from Kerala have proved that they can turn match winners. With Prashant [Parameswaran] also emerging as the match-winner against Delhi Daredevils and with Shantakumaran Sreesanth too in the side it now feels like a Kerala team. It is great to get support of the team coach and captain and live up to their expectations."

Gomez took the crucial wickets of Kolkata's star batsman Jacques Kallis and captain Gautam Gambhir to ensure Kochi a 17-runs win.

Talking about the wickets, Gomez said: "I felt so happy at getting the wicket of Kallis that my confidence shot up. Kallis was batting well at 45 and our team was struggling for a breakthrough. It was the confidence I got from Kallis' wicket that led me to take the wicket of Gambhir too."

Coach's advice

Gomez attributed his fine bowling performance to coach Geoff Lawson's advice.

"During the practice sessions Lawson kept telling me to always think before bowling every delivery. He taught me how to vary the pace and mix different deliveries and I implemented it in the match when I got my confidence," he said.

Gomez is also a fine hard-hitting batsman and had once hit 34 runs in one over against Hyderabad in the Subbiah Pillai trophy.

"Good performance from Kerala players will bring in a lot of benefits. All youngsters in the state can now believe that they too can perform very well against top players.

"We are all thankful to the Indian Premier League (IPL) for giving us a platform to perform. Future youngsters in Kerala can exhibit their talent to the world through the IPL," he said.

Talking about the home crowd support, Gomez said: "It was so nice to hear the crowd calling out the name of Prashanth as he was the hero of the Delhi match.

"I am so happy to see Prashant bowl so well.

"He had a great Ranji Trophy season this year. This IPL will help him improve further and it will be a huge advantage for the Kerala team in the coming season."

Fixtures

• Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kochi Tuskers (Bangalore, 2.30 pm UAE)
  • King's XI Punjab vs Pune Warriors (Mohali, 6.30 pm UAE)

[/img][/COLOR]