The iPad falls on deaf ears with Bill Gates

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Microsoft’s co-founder and former CEO Bill Gates isn’t impressed by the iPad, Apple’s latest multitouch computer for couch potatoes. According to BNET’s Brent Schlender, the iPad fell on deaf ears with Microsoft’s chief geek who isn’t jealous about it the way he confessed to have been about the iPhone. Here’s how Gates put it:
You know, I’m a big believer in touch and digital reading, but I still think that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard – in other words a netbook – will be the mainstream on that.
So, it’s not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with iPhone where I say, “Oh my God, Microsoft didn’t aim high enough.” It’s a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, “Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.”
Of course, you should take Gates’ comment with a grain of salt. After all, Microsoft has been rumored to be developing its own tablet device code-named the Courier. Besides, it’s a given that the company would rather license Windows to netbooks that sell well than promote the nascent tablet market that doesn’t seem to be taking off at all. On top of that, Gates said nothing about the App Store that gives the iPad an important headstart over rival tablets.