Baked Mac and Cheese (serves 2)
- 4 oz dry macaroni (if you don't have a kitchen scale, it's about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use half cheddar, half mozzerella)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Cook pasta until done (about 8 minutes). Drain. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
3. Add flour, salt, and pepper to melted butter and whisk together for a minute or two.
4. Gradually add milk, continuing to whisk.
5. Bring to a steady boil, then reduce heat.
6. Sprinkle in cheese. Keep stirring until cheese melts and sauce is very thick.
7. Add macaroni and stir to coat.
8. Transfer to ramekins (or a casserole dish). Mix in broccoli, if using.
9. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
10. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown.