Sushant Singh Rajput: I am Ready for Marriage, but Ankita is

Sushant Singh Rajput plans to marry Ankita Lokhande by next year.

Let’s start with the Slapgate incident.Your fiancé Ankita Lokhande took you to task over a steamy scene with a co-star at a studio in public view?
That was a completely untrue story that appeared in a tabloid. Both Ankita and I read it and laughed over it. There’s no truth to half of what you read.

So, you are still going steady?
Of course.

Is marriage on the cards?
I am ready, but Ankita is taking her time, may be by the end of the year or next year.

Doesn’t being in a steady relationship affect an actor’s popularity with his female fans?
It made a difference earlier when the hero was more macho and an actor more of a star. But today I don’t think people care too much about your personal life.

With so many films under your belt do you find time for Ankita?
When I am not working I am with her, I don’t find time for myself.

Wasn’t Ankita offered Shah Rukh Khan’s Happy New Year?
She was, but things didn’t work out. It happens, she is happy with her life as it is today.

It must be a real high to have replaced Hrithik Roshan in Paani?
Hrithik Roshan is one of our biggest superstars, I have been his fan for over a decade. I can’t think of replacing him. I gave an audition based on which I was taken on. The film goes on floor next year and it feels great to be working with Shekhar Kapur who last worked with Heath Ledger in Four Feathers.

Reportedly, you opted out of Fitoor because you wanted to allot the same dates to Shekhar Kapur's Paani?
I was supposed to shoot for Fitoor this year and Paani was scheduled for next year, but when the former was pushed ahead, dates clashed and I had no alternative but to opt out. (Sighs) I was excited about working with Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor) again and had kept six months free post Peekay for the film. We’re disappointed we couldn’t sort out the dates, but there is no bitterness between us. Our relationship goes beyond the usual director-actor one. He has promised me that if I keep working hard he’ll give me another opportunity to work with him soon.

No regrets about losing out on a UTV production co-starring Katrina Kaif?
I’ll always be grateful to UTV for giving me my first break in Kai Po Che! And who wouldn’t want to work with Katrina. I just hope I get another chance, ASAP.

How is it working with Aamir Khan in Peekay?
I don’t really have scenes with Aamir, but during the script session I found him to be really inquisitive. He wants to learn.

After Kai Po Che! and Shuddh Desi Romance have people around you changed?
My family hasn’t, and Ankita still thinks I’m stupid in a loving way . The only change is that people have stopped saying that TV actors can’t act. I don’t want to be just a star. I have turned down about two dozen scripts because I only want do films where a filmmaker has something to say.

Five years from now, where do you see yourself?
You never know I may go back to TV or theatre. I may even direct a film. I like telling stories and one day I want to make a film for myself.

Author: Bharati Dubey