Supergiants' opening combination keeping things simple at the top

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
After the bowlers did their job against Mumbai Indians, the Rising Pune Supergiants openers ensured that the script wasn't ruined and helped the team canter to a nine-wicket win at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Saturday (April 9).

Ajinkya Rahane and Faf du Plessis scored 78 runs for the first wicket in chase of 122 to eliminate any possibility of a Mumbai comeback. Rahane is accustomed to opening while du Plessis has played the role for the now defunct Chennai Super Kings. While the pair was batting alongside each other for the first time, there were no indications of nerves or rustiness as they hit the straps from the very beginning.

Rahane, a player brought up in Mumbai, was expectedly more comfortable playing on the Wankhede track and settled into his groove early. Du Plessis, at the other end, needed a little more time acclimatising himself, but he ensured he did not throw his wicket away cheaply.

The Indian top-order batsman said it was easier for him to open with du Plessis because the South Africa batsman kept things really simple.

"We spoke a lot before the game and the understanding was very good. He kept things simple," Rahane told iplt20.com.

"Last time I opened was 2-3 years ago for Chennai. We have a lot of quality middle-order batsmen and the captain feels I'm best suited at the top. It's nice to get a crack at the top. It's a place I'd possibly choose if I could," said du Plessis. "Jinks (Rahane) is a quality player so it's nice to have someone who can hit boundaries without taking too many risks. He's in pretty good touch, but I found it little but harder tonight."

One of the main reasons for the Mumbai loss was their top-order collapse. While Rohit Sharma won the toss and elected to bat, Mahendra Singh Dhoni said at the toss that he wanted to bowl first. As things turned out, the ball nipped and swung early on making Dhoni's reading of the track look perfect.

Both Rahane and du Plessis praised their captain. "He likes to keep things very simple. He knows that the players we have, all are very experienced," said Rahane.

"He's very calm," pointed out du Plessis. "No matter what the situation, when there's a lot of pressure on the players, he always oozes a lot of confidence. When there's a lot of pressure, you want a guy who's nice and calm, and makes clear decisions."