Star power: Paris vs Kim

Lily

B.R
Staff member

Take Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian as a rule of thumb and you'd think the path to the Hollywood heights of fame was a mathematical formula.

Intentionally or not, Kardashian has often followed in the footsteps of fellow socialite Hilton.

Both women came from privileged backgrounds, shot to fame because of less-than-appropriate video scandals, had a shot at the music business, launched perfumes and furthered fame through hit reality TV shows.

Next on the check list — a visit to Dubai. Once again Hilton did it first. Not only did she visit in 2009 to film BFF in Dubai but she also arrives Thursday to host Okku's second anniversary bash, while Kardashian will be heading to Dubai to open Millions of Milkshakes in the UAE in October. We take a look at how Kardashian measures up to the reality queen.

Family background

Hilton: Great-granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, founder of the Hilton hotel chain.

Kardashian: Daughter of Robert Kardashian, a lawyer of Armenian origin, who defended OJ Simpson in his murder trial.
Get real: The shows

Hilton: The Simple Life with Nicole Richie from 2003-07. BFF series in the US, UK and Dubai, with the heiress looking for one true friend in each country. Now, she's shooting The World According to Paris to air this year.

Kardashian: Keeping Up with the Kardashians since October 2007. Two spin-off series, Kim and Kourtney Take New York and Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami.

Reel fiction

Hilton: Cameo appearances in several films including Zoolander, Wonderland and The Cat In The Hat. Supporting roles in films Nine Lives, Raising Helen, The Hillz, House of Wax and as the Hottie in box office bomb The Hottie and the Nottie (2008).

Kardashian: 2008 disaster film spoof Disaster Movie.

Small screen

Hilton: Guest-starred in episodes of The O.C., The George Lopez Show, Las Vegas, American Dreams, Dogg After Dark, Veronica Mars, My Name is Earl, Supernatural and I Get That a Lot.

Kardashian: TV show Beyond the Break and appearances in How I Met Your Mother, 90210, with her sisters Khloé and Kourtney, and CSI: NY. Kardashian took part in the seventh season of Dancing with the Stars, with partner Mark Ballas, and was the third contestant voted off the show.

In tune

Kardashian: First single, the 2011 self-release Jam (Turn It Up), produced by The-Dream, sold 14,000 downloads in its first five days according to Nielsen SoundScan. Rumoured to be working with Kanye West.

Hilton: Musical debut in 2006 with Stars Are Blind. The Warner Bros tune launched on the Digital Songs list at No 10 with 52,000 downloads in its first week. Released her only album, Paris, in August of the same year. It entered the Billboard 200 chart at No. 6 with 77,000 sold in its first week.

The tapes

Kardashian: After a tape of her with R&B singer Ray-J was released in 2007, she settled out of court for $5 million (Dh18.36) saying the scandal was "not my most chesty moment. It was humiliating. But now let's move on. I think I've done a good job of replacing negative things with positive things."

Hilton: A video of her with then-boyfriend Rick Salomon leaked online in 2003.

$$$

Hilton: Estimated to be worth $45 million. In 2003-2004 she earned approximately $2 million for television and movie roles alone. In 2004-2005 television, movies, modelling, and personal appearances earned her $6.5 million.

Kardashian: Estimated to be worth $35 million. She makes $40,000 per episode of her reality TV show, raking in the rest with endorsements, appearances and her perfume line.

On their backs

Kardashian: Co-owns clothing boutique D-A-S-H with sisters Kourtney and Khloé; in 2010 designed clothing line for retail store Bebe.

Hilton: Has her own line of handbags, shoes and accessories.

Scent of success

Hilton: Six fragrances: Can Can, Paris Hilton, Just Me, Heiress, Fairy Dust and Siren.

Kardashian: Only one, Kim Kardashian, released in 2010.

The men

Hilton: Engagements: fashion model Jason Shaw, Greek shipping heir Paris Latsis. Dated singer Nick Carter, Stavros Niarchos III, Benji Madden, The Hills star Doug Reinhardt. Shortly after splitting from Reinhardt, Hilton started dating Cy Waits, entrepreneur and co-owner of Tryst Nightclub and XS Nightclub in Las Vegas.

Kardashian: Married music producer Damon Thomas in 2000, divorcing in 2004. Dated Ray J then NFL star Reggie Bush, Dallas Cowboys player Miles Austin, model Gabriel Aubry. NBA player Kris Humphries is her current flame.

Kiss and make up

Hilton wants her former BFF Kardashian to know she doesn't care if she is more famous. "There's so many people out there who try to imitate what I do but I am the original," the 30-year-old said last month. "So there is nothing like me."

Hilton and Kardashian used to be the best of friends but as Kardashian rose to fame her relationship with Hilton faltered. In 2008, Hilton compared Kardashian's backside to "cottage cheese inside of a big trash bag" adding her "curves are gross".

Hilton approached her ex-BFF this year at Interscope's Grammy Award after-party to try and bury the hatchet, saying she didn't want to fight anymore.