Some Shocking Statistics!

pink puma

Elite
Hi chweeties, it’s me again bringing you guys more of my informative posts lol. Don’t fall asleep now, these are interestinggg!

Going forward with big global issues such as poverty, aids, human rights, etc, the best way to get more and more people involved in organizations in helping to tackle these problems is by educating and spreading information about it to as many people as possible. So here are some shocking statistics that I found while browsing. Brace yourself because some of these are outrageous….

1. Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day

2. Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names (lets be thankful that we are able to read this)

3. Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen

4. 51 percent of the world’s 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations (can you say proliferation of corporate world dominance?)

5. The wealthiest nation on Earth (U.S.) has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation (coincidence?)

6. 20% of the population in the developed nations, consume 86% of the world’s goods (oh so now its 86% of the worlds goods that are consumed by 20% of the population in developed nations- up from 80% which was like just last year)

7. “The lives of 1.7 million children will be needlessly lost this year [2000] because world governments have failed to reduce poverty levels” (its all about priorities; apparently weaponry and production of arms is more important than children)

8. “Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.” (let’s remember this every time we sit down to eat)

9. According to UNICEF, 30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.” That is about 210,000 children each week, or just under 11 million children under five years of age, each year. (Angelo hunny, I love your Adopt a Phind idea, and I think in a case like this, your organization would provide immense benefits to those in rural villages).

10. A mere 12 percent of the world’s population uses 85 percent of its water, and these 12 percent do not live in the Third World (I wonder what the world would be like if that was made 50/50).

11. Consider the global priorities in spending in 1998

Global Priority $U.S. Billions

Cosmetics in the United States $8 billion
Ice cream in Europe $11 billion
Perfumes in Europe and the United States $12 billion
Pet foods in Europe and the United States $17 billion
Business entertainment in Japan $35 billion
Cigarettes in Europe $50 billion
Alcoholic drinks in Europe $105 billion
Narcotics drugs in the world $400 billion
Military spending in the world $780 billion

And compare that to what was estimated as additional costs to achieve universal access to basic social services in all developing countries

Basic education for all $6 billion
Water and sanitation for all $9 billion
Reproductive health for all women $12 billion
Basic health and nutrition $13 billion

These statistics were found on http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp (Anup Shah) please visit this site for more info on globalization.

I'm sure if we all gave up spending on pointless things like ice cream, and alcohol (things most of us can live without), and instead if we invested the same money into basic necessities for the underdeveloped world, it would make a HUGE difference. The unfortunate part is that large conglamorate corporations and industries like cosmetics, ice cream, alcohol, and other non-essential luxuries have us trapped in their web, and consumers surely wouldnt be happy if these things were taken away from them.

I think it is worthy to note this however, as we are the next generation entering the workforce, lets keep these statistics in mind, and as professionals i hope we can all get together and make a difference some day. Lets think of our children and their children, and the impact that our actions will have on the world. I am hoping that once all these "high up the corporate ladder" execs and CEOs retire, they will be replaced by younger, more considerate and socially-sensitive execs. Thats only if we start taking responsibility for our actions.

Angel_Eyes

Done Deal !
Wonderful Pums, thank you so much for sharing. Really appreciate it, Although i have learned a lot abt it in my epidimeology and ethics classes, but reading it over an other time helps that conscience to get more firm on the whole point of becoming a doc and doing it for the betterment of people, and not just the money and status behind it. Sachi thanks so much for sharing, And i really look forward to work some day with great minds like you on that "adopt a pind" idea, Its a dream i wud so wanna make true, and alone i cant do anything, Great and wise minds like you defenitely make a HUGE difference in the world. Thanks :hug Love you a lot. God Bless ya for having such a wonderful, amazing, kind heart :wub

pink puma

Elite
Wonderful Pums, thank you so much for sharing. Really appreciate it, Although i have learned a lot abt it in my epidimeology and ethics classes, but reading it over an other time helps that conscience to get more firm on the whole point of becoming a doc and doing it for the betterment of people, and not just the money and status behind it. Sachi thanks so much for sharing, And i really look forward to work some day with great minds like you on that "adopt a pind" idea, Its a dream i wud so wanna make true, and alone i cant do anything, Great and wise minds like you defenitely make a HUGE difference in the world. Thanks :hug Love you a lot. God Bless ya for having such a wonderful, amazing, kind heart :wub

thank you sweetie :hug

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --

Cosmetics in the United States $8 billion

aaa dekhlo bai.. ainwe ni western ch guddiyan soniya lagdiyan.. munh te make up thap k bewkoof bnaundiya...apni ure di simple beauty hi wadiya mitro

Cigarettes in Europe $50 billion
Alcoholic drinks in Europe $105 billion
Narcotics drugs in the world $400 billion[/QUOTE]

kaun kenda amliya di joon buri.. main ta kenda sab to wadd votan hi sadiyan ne puri duniya te :talli