Sirr-i-Akbar by Dara shikouh

DBF

Mad
Sirr-i-Akbar by Dara shikouh

Though it is a fact that Islamic rulers of India raped women, killed people, destroyed Temples and forcibly converted Hindus to Islam, it is shocking to know that they could execute their own siblings for translating The Vedas directly from Sanskrit into Persian.

It is not about the common fanatic I am speaking about.

It is about Shah Jehan’s son Muhammad Dara Shikoh, who was also a great Sufi.

He went to the extent of saying that Islam had its roots in Hinduism, more specifically in The Vedas and the Upanishads, and they were revealed to the Rishis by God much before the advent of Prophet Muhammad.

( I am stating facts as I see them; I am not trying to legitimize Islam as many try.

I just point out the similarities between Hinduism and Islam.

That 786 is OM, Mecan is Shiva Temple,Ancestors of Arabians c0uld have been Tamils, Prophet Muhammad’s Uncle wrote a Hymn, Stuthi On Lord Shiva)

Prince Muhammad Dara Shikoh (1627-1658 AD) the favorite Sufi son of Moghul emperor, Shah Jehan. Known the world over for his unorthodox and liberal views. He was a mystic and a free thinker.

Dara Shikoh, wrote in his Persian translation of the Upanishads.

“After gradual research; I have come to the conclusion that long before all heavenly books, God had revealed to the Hindus, through the Rishis of yore, of whom Brahma was the Chief, His four books of knowledge, the Rig Veda, the Yajur Veda, the Sama Veda and the Atharva Veda.”

He had learned Sanskrit and studied the Hindu scriptures in the original.

He translated the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and Yoga-Vasishta into Persian directly from Sanskrit and called it Sirr-e-Akbar (The Great Mystery). Titled “The Upanishads: God’s Most Perfect Revelation” and then into Latin by Anquetil Duperron (1801 and 1802) under the title Oupnekhat, contained about fifty. The Quran itself, he said, made veiled references to the Upanishads as the “first heavenly book and the fountainhead of the ocean of monotheism.”

In his Majma-al-Bahrain, he sought to reconcile the Sufi theory with the Vedanta.

He was able to affirm that Sufism and Advaita Vedantism (Hinduism) are essentially the same, with a surface difference of terminology.

And in introduction to this work he says that one finds in Upanishads the concept of tawhid (the doctrine of Unity of God, the most fundamental doctrine of Islam) after the Qur’an and perhaps the Qur’an refers to Upanishad when it refers to Kitab al-Maknun (The Hidden Book). His work Majma-al-Bahrain (Mingling of the Two Oceans i.e. Hinduism and Islam) is very seminal work in the history of composite culture of India.

Two years after the completion of the Sirr-i-Akbar, Dara was executed on the orders of his brother.

“Dara subsequently developed a friendship with the seventh Sikh Guru, Guru Har Rai. Dara devoted much effort towards finding a common mystical language between Islam and Hinduism. Towards this goal he completed the translation of 50 Upanishads from its original Sanskrit intoPersian in 1657 so it could be read by Muslim scholars. His translation is often called Sirr-e-Akbar (The Greatest Mystery), where he states boldly, in the Introduction, his speculative hypothesis that the work referred to in the Qur’an as the “Kitab al-maknun” or the hidden book, is none other than the Upanishads.[