Singh regains magic touch after the high-pressure World Cup

Lily

B.R
Staff member
7878663.jpg
Dubai: Harbhajan Singh is delighted over his five-wicket spell over Chennai Super Kings on Friday. The Indian off spinner has been reeling under pressure since he struggled to get wickets during the World Cup.

Speaking to Gulf News recently, India's former captain Kapil Dev said Singh should not be written off. "Singh is one of the finest spinners in the game. In fact, Singh and Anil Kumble are the best spinners India had ever produced," he said.

Singh, who bagged 5 for 18, admitted that he was thrilled with his spell at a time when wickets were getting hard for him. "It's nice to get five wickets as it's difficult at times to take even one wicket. But I wish these five wickets come in my Test cricket stats."

Many teams during the World Cup adapted a policy of blocking Singh's deliveries, refusing to give him wickets. Singh went on to praise the wicket at the Wankhede stadium, especially the red soil wicket which helps his spin.

Best track

"This track has a lot to offer to everyone. This track is the best in India. The red soil helps seam bowlers, there's bounce to the spinners and the batsmen too can play shots," said Singh, who believes that the two brilliant catches by his teammates Kieron Pollard and Rohit Sharma helped him a lot. Pollard took a brilliant catch to dismiss Michael Hussey while Rohit Sharma caught Chennai skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

Pressures

Singh said that he refused to yield to the pressures of the match. "I was calm and composed and I knew if I land the ball there if he [batsman] hits it will be hit, but if he misses I am going to get a wicket."

Singh also said that he wants to win today's match against Deccan Chargers in Hyderabad for his skipper Sachin Tendulkar who is celebrating his 38th birthday today. "It's Sachin's [Tendulkar] birthday and it would be nice if we win the game. We will try to do so," said Singh, India's leading wicket taker in all three formats of the game.

[/img][/COLOR]