Singer Abhijeet arrested for abusive tweet, released on bail: Mumbai Police

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
abhijeetbhattacharyasinger_3adaa2346c061-1.jpg

Singer Abhijeet Bhattacharya, who was named in an FIR filed by AAP leader Preeti Sharma Menon in July, was arrested and later released on bail, said Mumbai Police.
Indian Express reported on Friday that the Mumbai Police confirmed the singer was arrested last month after a complaint against him for harassing in a woman journalist on Twitter.
The reported quoted DCP (cyber) Sachin Patil as saying, “Abhijeet was arrested in July on the basis of the FIR against him for online abuse. However, since it was a bailable offence, he was given bail soon after the arrest.”
Menon, too, tweeted on Friday about the arrest and revealed that Abhijeet’s phone was confiscated and the tweets were deleted by Mumbai Police.

Preeti Sharma Menon @PreetiSMenon
Shame on a man whose son has to bail him out on a case of abusing women#AbuserAbhijeetArrested
6:34 PM - 26 Aug 2016

@mumbaipolice arrested @abhijeetsinger on my complaint on 26/07, released him on bail later. Serves him right @bainjal
3:31 PM - 26 Aug 2016

@abhijeetsinger's phone confiscated, sent for forensics. Cops made Twitter order him to delete offensive tweets or shut handle @bainjal
3:34 PM - 26 Aug 2016

The FIR was lodged in July following a complaint filed by Menon at the Cyber Cell.
In her complaint, Menon said that she had tweeted to the Mumbai Police commissioner about Bhattacharya’s use of “obscene” language on social media towards a woman journalist. However, the singer responded to her tweet with indecent language, Menon said.
The case was registered under IPC section 500 (punishment for defamation) and 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of IPC and section 67 of the Information Technology Act, police said.
After the incident, Abhijeet had tweeted his frustration at the outrage and wrote, “I’m a man,a son,a dad,a bro trolled n abused by lady presstitute & her Paki frnds abused my nation whom to contact ?”
On Friday, he even complained that he is paying the price of “being a nationalist in Bollywood”.