Sikh student attacked in University of Hyderabad after being mistaken for a Kashmiri

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
anmolsingh_story_647_071816093315-1.jpg

In a shocking incident, members of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) reportedly attacked a student of University of Hyderabad after they mistook him for a Kashmiri student.

Research student Anmol Singh (25) was attacked by a gang of nearly 25 people from ABVP, when he was on his was to his hostel. Singh was reportedly returning from a protest against alleged police atrocities in the Valley.
"They punched me on my face and stomach. I along with my friends tried to escape, but the gang chased us and thrashed us," said Singh.
According to Singh, the ABVP members mistook him for Bilal a former student of the university who hailed from Kashmir. Singh said that the ABVP targeted him for his beard and skin colour.

SINGH MISTAKEN FOR FORMER KASHMIRI STUDENT
Sources said that Bilal had completed his PhD and returned to Kashmir few months ago. Bilal was reportedly vocal about the plight of the Valley and had also participated in several demonstrations.
According to sources, the security guards did not intervene when Singh was being attacked. One of the students claimed that the ABVP workers were furious and came shouting for Bilal.
Sources said that the attack did not stop, Singh was assaulted by another group of ABVP after he reached the hospital. The group left soon after other students intervened.

ABVP DENIED ALLEGATIONS
While Singh maintained that he was attacked repeatedly by the group, an ABVP leader reportedly denied the allegations saying that Singh and his friends had attacked the ABVP members.
Sources said that while Singh was part of a group of students who raised slogans supporting freedom for Kashmir, ABVP workers were raising slogans like 'Bharat Mata ki Jay'. Both the group had clashed in the recent past too.