Share: Why are so many Sikhs now trimming their beards?

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Sikh religion forbids cutting/trimming hairs from the body. It believes in Khalas saroop i.e. pure form. We should go back to the Waheguru the way he sent us.

( To understand the reason for not cutting /trimming hairs one will have to read Gurbani and Sikh history ,we will focus here on why the Sikh youth are doing otherwise)

Coming to the question, I qualify to answer as I have been through same dilemma as a teenager and youth, eg to get my eyebrows plucked or not, (which is one form of kesh katal for Sikh females as trimming of beard is for Sikh males)

How this process works in case of sikh females is during farewell in 12th class or during final year in college there is immense peer pressure from Sikh and non Sikh friends to look best. I never believed in superficial beauty, the real beauty lies within. This temperament kind of gets overshadowed by peer pressure or the definition of beauty which is thrown on us via TV, print and media . Subconsciously making us feel there is no place for inner beauty in this world.

Sikh girls from gursikh families or who have developed interest in religion try avoiding to sccumb to this pressure.But it seems many tims self-control game is overpowered by the worldly pleasures.

Also, I have long hair, very long. I am identified as Sikh because of my long hair. I am complimented everyday for it. I am very grateful to Waheguru for this. This actually gives me a thought that if I can accept the hair on my head, I have to accept every other hair on my body. I hope I embrace Guru’s gift and take up Amrit soon!

Oh ! The actual question was on Sikh guys ( and not Sikh girls). Coming to it. In case of Sikh guys too peer pressure from non Sikh frnds and from friends who are from Sikh background but have cut or trimmed their beards and hairs is immense. The word "gyaani" which was used to respect a person has been used to mock Sikh guys who maintain their un cut Sabat Surat saroop.

So two main reasons are :
1. Mocking by others or peer pressure( non Sikh and Sikh frnds who have cut hairs)
2. Lack of knowledge of Gurbani and Sikh history

Also throughout our teenage and youth we need grace of Waheguru and company of gursikhs to be strong in our beliefs. Parents reading this answer should try best to inculcate Sikh principles in their kids and teenagers and youth reading this answer should utilize good available resources to know and discover Sikhi. We may be born in Sikh families but we all have our own journey of discovering Sikhism and Gurbani.

- Manmeet Kaur