Saina Nehwal wins Singapore Open Super Series

chief

Prime VIP
Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:35

Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal clinched the second Super Series title of her career by winning the Singapore Open with a straight-game triumph over qualifier Tzu Ying Tai in the finals here today.

Top seed Saina took just 33 minutes to beat Chinese Taipei's Tai 21-18 21-15 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

The world number six, who was the lone Indian left if fray after others crashed out by the semifinal stage, had bagged her maiden Super Series title in June last year when she claimed the top honours at the Indonesian Open.

The in-form Saina came here after winning the India Open Grand Prix Gold title only last week.

In a game that was close to start with, Saina was locked 18-18 with her rival at one stage before edging ahead. Saina had seven smash winners to show against her rival's three in the opening game.

In the second game, Saina displayed a better net game and outwitted her rival in rallies to emerge triumphant.

The jubilant 20-year-old said she was slightly jittery to start with kept gaining in confidence as the match progressed.

"It feels great. I was nervous at the start of the match but I maintained my strategy of playing more rallies," she said.

"I was down 14-18 in the first game but I just told myself that 'play your best and give your 100%'. I think that really worked well for me," she added.