Retinoids For Skincare

I was at my dermatologist’s office the other day, and I couldn’t help but notice the perfection of my doctor’s skin. Though there is something expected about a dermatologist having great skin, I felt robbed of some secret magic elixir that allowed a man who was at least 15 years older than I to have much better skin than I did. When I asked him about his skin, he simply said that he uses retinoid products.

I’ve heard about retinoid products like Retin-A before, but I could never pin-point their exact use. Was it for acne? Was it for aging? It turns out these products combat both acne and aging and essentially any skin imperfection that is holding you back from having perfect skin.

Retinoids are derivatives of vitamin A and are used as treatments against acne, wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, psoriasis, and countless other skin ailments. They help the process of skin renewal by sloughing off the dead skin cells and allowing quick cell growth of new skin, ultimately quickening the turnover rate. This prevents the dead skin cells from clogging pores and causing acne. Retinoids also slow down the process of collagen breakdown, which is the anti-aging factor. Collagen keeps skin firm and taught, essential for young looking skin.

Retinoid products are a favorite of dermatologists since they have been around for decades, and the science behind them is well documented. You can get them in both over- the-counter products as well as prescriptions. But if you are looking to incorporate retinoid products into your skincare routine, be sure to talk to a doctor about it.

While retinoids are safe and thoroughly tested, you should be careful with application. The first few weeks of use you may notice that your skin in dry and peeling, but that is normal and usually stops after about two weeks. You should stop the use of other strong products that contain salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide because the combination could cause skin irritation. Also, there are a slew of myths surrounding retinoid products; the most common says that retinoids work to thin your skin, which is simply untrue.