Pune Woman Commits Suicide After Receiving Obscene Messages, Calls From Boss

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
As an employer, it is a responsibility of the organization to maintain a workplace free from any harassment, be it physical or emotional, but there are certain cases where the employer himself is responsible for the harassment. In this recent case, a 32-year-old woman committed suicide due to harassment by her boss.

The victim was working as a credit manager with a housing finance company. Her boss would send her obscene messages and harass in the call.

Her husband filed a complaint at Warje police station against Suraj Bundele under sections 306 (abetment of suicide), 504 (intentional insult), 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

The victim’s husband, who worked as an assistant sales manager with a private firm had come to the home around 9:30 as usual and after repeatedly ringing the doorbell and calling his wife he broke the door. He found her hanging from the bedroom’s ceiling fan. The neighbours immediately informed the Warje Malwadi Police Station.

She was working with the DHFL company’s branch on Senapati Bapat Road. Her boss is said to be torturing her mentally and sexually. In a desperate attempt to put off this torture, the victim committed suicide.

A suicide note was reported which said,”I am committing suicide on my own. My family or relatives are not responsible. Don’t harass them.”

Her husband told the police that he found her wife’s phone lying on the bed and her boss was repeatedly calling her. I picked up the phone and told him that she had hanged herself. I then checked her phone and found that her boss had sent several messages. There were obscene messages and abusive text from the boss. He had also called her several times and asked her to meet him in the parking area.

Her husband further added that his wife informed him that she has decided to leave job as she cannot handle mental torture, as reported by The Times of India.

Suraj Bundele is on the run. Police have been looking for him. They are also investigating that what happened between the two and then the evidence will be put forward.

The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition, Redressal) Act, 2013 is a legislative act in India that seeks to protect women from sexual harassment at their place of work. The act ensures that the woman is protected against sexual harassment at all the work places, be it in public or private. The Logical Indian request all the women to take steps to curtail any sort of harassment.