Playing with Virat Kohli a huge buzz for me: Shane Watson

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
When Shane Watson was bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore for INR 9.5 Crore in the Indian Premier League auction in February earlier this year, it was considered a good move. With his all-round capabilities, he adds more strength to an already power-packed batting line-up and boosts the bowling unit as well.

If he is under pressure to perform and justify the faith that the franchise has shown on him, he isn't showing it. On Sunday (April 10) evening, Watson walked out with a smile on his face as the lights were taking effect at the M Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore, much to the delight of the small crowd that had gathered to see their team practice.

As he gears up to play for only his second franchise in nine years, Watson grapples with feeling of strangeness but is quick to acknowledge the privilege of playing amongst an envious batting line-up.

"It's a bit strange to be here," he said. "My previous eight years have been with Rajasthan. I had a lot of fun with that franchise but to be able to come to Bangalore, it's a huge privilege. The quality that RCB have, to play in such a beautiful stadium in Bangalore, so I feel very privileged to be able to play for this franchise.

"The hotels are very nice here, UB city is great, they have some nice restaurants in there where I can spend my time. I played a few Tests and One-Day Internationals here and always love coming back here."

Privileged is a word that Watson used a lot in the short chat. Retired from international cricket, the Australian all-rounder now has the luxury of featuring in several T20 leagues around the world and playing alongside cricketer who he has played against, in the past.

"It's exciting to be playing leagues like Big Bash, Pakistan Super League, the IPL. I get the privilege to play with a number of players against whom I played international cricket," said Watson. "To get to know people off the field, it's a great thing. I get to meet a lot of different people. For example: I'll get to play with Virat and that's a huge buzz for me. I've had a few battles with him on the field and always had the utmost respect for him. Chris Gayle, we've had our run-ins. To get to know him off the field is exciting."

Considering the talent and firepower Bangalore have acquired over the years, it's hard to believe that they haven't won the title so far. Watson hoped to bring his all-round skills to the table and help them improve this year.

"It's hard to put your finger on what those missing elements have been," he said. "I'm looking to help out on and off the field. I want help out on the field, which is the most important thing, and to help the franchise continue to grow.

"My plan this year is to hopefully continue with both bat and ball. It's pretty exciting franchise to be part of. The quality of players that we have is pretty incredible. As an all-rounder, I give the team good options. I think that was one of reason I got to play for Australia at an early age. Very fortunate with the skill set that I have. I certainly enjoy contributing with both bat and ball. Bowling wise, in T20, you can get a bit exposed.

"I've batted in all different positions. I've opened, batted at No. 3 and here I'm happy to fit in where ever is required with Chris, Virat and AB as well."

Whether he fires to help Bangalore win the title, only time will tell. But one thing is for sure, Bangalore have bought a player that'll significantly boost their chances this season.