Player of the tournament eyes 2014 World Cup

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Colombo: World Twenty20 player of the tournament Shane Watson is hoping for Australian success rather than individual honours in the next edition in 2014.

The 31-year-old all-rounder received the star player accolade after Sunday’s final in Colombo following his impressive haul of 249 runs at an average of 49.80 and 11 wickets at 16 each, coupled with an economy rate of 7.33.

But his Australia team were unable to progress past the semi-final stage as they fell victim to an onslaught from eventual winners West Indies.

“Our goal was to win the tournament and take the one ICC trophy we’re yet to win back to Australia, but it wasn’t to be this time around. We’re already looking forward to another crack at it in 2014,” he said.

“Although we didn’t quite reach our team goal of winning this tournament, on a personal note it’s an honour to be named as the player of the tournament.

“To be recognised for your achievements is always a nice feeling, but I certainly know it would have felt a lot better if we had also been able to lift the trophy.”

Talking about some of his knocks in the tournament, four-time man of the match Watson said: “Going into the tournament I knew that if we could get our batting innings off to a good start it would hold us in good shape. It was nice that I could put on a few partnerships with Dave Warner and Mike Hussey and to pick up a few wickets and play a role with the ball was great too.

“As an all-rounder you always strive to have the perfect performance with bat and ball in one game, so to be able to do this in a few matches was extremely satisfying.”

When asked about the competition in the tournament, Watson said: “West Indies were too good in the semi-final [against Australia]. They were deserved winners. I am sad for Sri Lanka not to win at home.”