Passengers hit as auto drivers stop CTU buses in Mohali

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
2016_2largeimg03_Wednesday_2016_01500591-1.jpg

High drama was witnessed at Phase I, VI and VII entry points of Mohali when a number of three-wheeler drivers under protest stopped the Chandigarh Transport Undertaking buses from entering the town.
The auto drivers gathered at the entry points at around 10 am and started stopping the CTU buses by lying down on roads in front of vehicles.
“We will not allow the buses of CTU in the town as the Chandigarh Administration has been harassing us (auto drivers) for the past several months”, said Kamal Kant Diwedi, a leader of auto drivers, here today.
The police reached the spot and tried to pacify them. The protest lasted for about two hours and led to inconvenience of several passengers who were to board the CTU buses.
“I don’t know why these people (protestors) make common people suffer. I was going for an important work to Mohali. Now, I have no clue what to do as these auto drivers are on protest”, said Kunal Kapoor, a resident of Chandigarh.
Meanwhile, the auto drivers threatened that their counterparts would stop the CTU buses in Panchkula tomorrow then at Chandigarh the next day.
“We don’t intend to inconvenience the public, but we are concerned about the problems, we are facing”, said the protestors.