Over 150 people watched as Delhi cop bled to death after chasing robbers

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
delhipolice_be58ab4666fd11e6b7cc991406f1-1.jpg

“Pakad lo inko...maar dega (Nab them. They will kill you)” — these were the last words of Delhi Police constable Anand Singh, moments before he was shot by three men robbing a woman in outer Delhi’s Shahbad Dairy.
An eyewitness, who saw Singh fight the men, said: “Despite being shot, Singh chased the fleeing bikers on foot while holding his gunshot wounds with one hand. More than 150 people had gathered near the spot but no one helped him. The bikers had a pistol,” he said.
A man who called the police said Singh had fought like a hero. “He (Singh) kept shouting, urging passersby to corner the bikers. But no one listened. I could not help either as I am differently abled,” the man said.
“All I could do was watch as people turned a blind eye to his requests. After Singh collapsed, they all gathered around and watched him die. No one cared to rush him to a hospital,” he said.
He said Singh was rushed to a hospital after 20 minutes after the police arrived at the scene.
Singh’s brother Vikas Sushil, who attended the wreath laying ceremony at the New Police Lines ground on Saturday, told HT the slain constable wanted to become a police officer and sacrifice his life for the force since his childhood.
“As a child, he dreamt of winning the gallantry medal. He always wanted to be an honest officer. Our father was in the Army and he was the one who taught us to be disciplined and honest,” Sushil said.

“He has made us very proud. But what about his family now? He was the only earning member of the family. Both his children are studying, his wife is a housewife,” Vikas added.
Daulat Singh, a childhood friend recalled: “As kids, we always talked chasing robbers. Who could have imagined my friend would actually die chasing robbers while trying to save a woman,” he said.
“We were selected together and completed our police training together. When I used to get tired during the harsh training and thought of quitting, he motivated me. He told me he can do anything to earn this uniform. His passion for his job was unparalleled. He was a hero,” Daulat said.
Singh had joined the Delhi Police in 1988. The Delhi government has announced a compensation of `1 crore for Singh’s family.