On the death of a computer: Searching for a tiny desktop

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP
Back in 2007 I overhauled my Mini-ITX project computer and turned it into the C2D Mini-ITX Box. This was a Mobile-on-the-Desktop computer that used an Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 mobile processor in order to cram as much power as possible into a small, silent enclosure. It was cutting edge stuff at the time, and while it was an expensive build I was very happy with the results.
That computer, built in January 2007, died recently.

The Mini-ITX box ran continuously up until this month, but suffered an inoperable motherboard failure. Since putting it together no changes were made aside from moving to Ubuntu (it ran 7.04 up to 10.04, spending most of the time on 8.04 LTS “Hardy Heron”). It was a great build and my parents, who got it shortly after the build was completed, got a ton of use out of it. The best part was that it ran relatively problem free for all but a small percentage of its lifespan. And when there were problems they were generally minor, such as need to manually set the display resolution in the terminal because of some incompatibility with the chipset.
Anyway, it’s dead now and while parts can be salvaged (especially the amazing Hoojum case) the computer cannot. It had been getting slow over the past few months and there was already talk of replacing it so this didn’t come as a major shock. So what now?
My only requirements are that the replacement is a very compact desktop, needs a minimum amount of maintenance, can run a non-Windows OS. Hardware requirements are minimal as well–it just has to be powerful enough to run HD Flash video and do some light multitasking.

My initial list of options:

• Dell Zino HD – starting price $299
  • Apple Mac mini – $699
  • Acer Aspire Revo – $330 for the AR3610-U2002
  • Asus nettop- about $450 depending on the model
  • Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 – $399 with ION and Windows 7
  • Custom build
By the they way–I’ve ruled out all-in-ones because there is a nice 23-inch monitor from the previous computer. I quickly ruled out the custom build as well. It would be a fun project but there really is no need to spend the time and effort unless if you have special demands.
Let me just note that the Atom-powered options are immediately discouraging–most of these are running the same Atom 330 dual-core processor that has been kicking around since mid-2008 (and has since been EOL’d). Some are running the D510/D525 but those are almost always in all-in-ones. My research left me with two Atom options: the ASUS Eee Box EB1501P-B016E and the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 for $349.

The recently refreshed Dell Zino HD is an attractive option thanks to a very low starting price, but at $299 who knows what the thing is missing. Plus this has to be a computer that will last and, well, Dell isn’t my go-to company for that.
It turns out that at $299 the Zino HD ships with an AMD processor you’ve never heard of and it doesn’t have WiFi (though Dell.com doesn’t make this clear). WiFi is available, but it doesn’t come along until you reach the $599 model.
And finally there is the Mac mini. This option is appealing because of the OS but it is pricey given my demands. Other upsides include the fact that I can pick it up from a local store (and return it if necessary) and that it was recently released so it’s a good time to buy one.
Perhaps the biggest advantage for the Mac mini is that of support. The computer is for my parents who are not technically inclined, so if I get the Zino HD and put Ubuntu on it, I am the de facto support person. I’m confident that little would go wrong, but when a printer needed to be installed or program had to be updated, I’d be getting a phone call. Apple offers great support and better ease-of-use than the other options. The OS will require some retraining, but I’m confident that it’ll be a good fit.

To cut to the chase, we went with the Mac mini. I was hesitant to recommend it–it made me feel like a bit of a sell-out, not the tech guru that set my parents up with a custom-built mobile-on-the-desktop system running Linux–but given the options the Mac seems to make sense. I’m disappointed in its specs–2GB of RAM is pretty sad at this point–but they are sufficient and little would be gained by having, say, a quad-core processor. I’ll probably upgrade the RAM at some point.
What I’m really looking forward to is setting up my parents with iLife and having them do things like organize their photos and setup their iPods without the need to call me. I don’t mind helping, but at some point making them into self-sufficient computer users is a goal of mine. Setting them up with Ubuntu was a half-way solution that worked because the OS is so stable, but when there was a bump in the road they were flummoxed. With OS X I’m hoping they can do some of the things that so much of us take for granted. If that costs a few dollars extra, I think we’re fine with that.
For everyone out there buying for themselves, I think the Mac mini is a fine choice but there is obviously more bang-for-the-buck to be had elsewhere. The Zino HD could be a good option if you need some extra power and the Lenovo packs solid hardware with a small footprint. Its Atom D510 has a slight adavantage on the 330, too. Watch out though, it’s missing a card reader, Bluetooth, and it’s still not a great system for multitasking.

Before wrapping up, I wanted to mention some things about their initial experience with the Mac mini. I wasn’t there for the purchase, but I’ve been told that it was quick and painless. It included everything they needed to get going, namely an HDMI-to-DVI adapter and a new printer. The HP Photosmart e-All-in-One printer was free with the purchase–it’s not my ideal choice for a printer but they need an MFP and it’ll do the job. Once the computer got home, both my parents were impressed with the size and looks of the tiny, aluminum computer.
As for the setup, it’s incredibly easy and I had them up and running in about 10 minutes. Setting up iTunes and the programs they needed took a bit longer, but it was quite painless. The computer had no problems recognizing the Viewsonic monitor, Fellowes wireless keyboard, or Logitech mouse.
Their initial usage was free of significant problems, once everyone understood the difference between closing a window and quitting a program, and minor OS X UI details, like where programs go when they are minimized.
Overall, it’s been a success so far. I’ll try to report back at time progresses and the honeymoon period with their slick new computer has ended.