On 2nd day of Eid, fewer clashes

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The Valley was relatively peaceful today as the state government lifted curfew from all major towns of the Valley except Kulgam and Pulwama in south Kashmir. However, strict restrictions were imposed across Kashmir which has seen over two months of violence in which 81 people have been killed.
Heavy contingents of the police and the CRPF in riot gear were deployed in strength in all districts of Kashmir while barricades and concertina wires were laid at various entry and exit points in Srinagar and other districts to thwart the protests.
However, protests erupted in Tahab and Kakpora localities of Pulwama district where youth threw stones at security personnel, who in turn lobbed tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters. No one was injured in the clashes. Protests also broke out in Magam village of north Kashmir’s Handwara subdistrict where youth threw stones on security men.
Violent protests erupted at Hard-Shiva village of Sopore sub-district of north Kashmir after the body of a local youth, Mansoor Ahmad Lone (25), was recovered from a stone quarry. Lone had gone missing on Tuesday morning after the Army allegedly raided Hard-Shiva village following a stone-throwing incident. Locals said people carried out a protest rally after Eid-ul-Azha on Tuesday and dispersed peacefully. However, a few youth, including Lone, went to pelt the nearby 22 Rashtriya Rifles camp with stones.
They alleged that the Army soldiers chased the youth, and after that Lone went missing. Superintendent of Police, Sopore, Harmeet Singh said, “The police have filed an FIR with murder charges against the Army.”
Singh said the family of the slain youth had filed a complaint alleging that the Army had abducted their son on Tuesday and killed him before throwing his body in a stone quarry. “We will investigate the case to see the facts,” he said.
Meanwhile, following the killing of a youth, Mustafa Mir, in Bandipora, on Tuesday, angry protesters set ablaze a showroom in the town last evening. The showroom belongs to BJP district president Sheikh Waseem Bari.
Fire tenders were rushed to douse the fire. While the building suffered partial damage, the showroom was reduced to ashes. A few stone-throwing incidents were reported from Bandipora today.