Omar's wheels: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Omar likes to modify his cars but he found no need to tinker with his latest toy — a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6

How did you become a car nut?

When I was a child, I had a large collection of toy cars. I used to spend hours playing and polishing them and I guess my passion grew as I got older. I have since kept all the cars I have had in immaculate condition.

I enjoy modifying the looks and performance by adding spoilers, bigger rims, larger air intake and exhaust systems.

What attracted you to your Corvette?

I have always loved high-end sportscars. What first drew me to the Corvette was the styling. It's almost Ferrari-like from the front with that sharp and purposeful look. Older Corvettes looked OK to me, but I found this one to be just plain gorgeous.

After searching for over a year, I was able to find it through a friend about four months ago. The moment I saw it, I wanted it. I bought it from the first owner, who had been servicing it at the agency all along, so it was in really good condition and had a full maintenance history.

What do people think of it?

The way everyone looks at the car makes me feel good and its condition speaks for itself. The growling exhaust and sleek shape makeit an eye-catcher.

I often see people taking photos with it whenever I park.

And are you happy with the performance?

It has a 6.0-litre LS2 V8 which produces 400bhp at 6,000rpm and 543Nm of torqueat 4,400rpm.

It has great acceleration. But, getting to 100kph isn't a simple case of just flooring the throttle like you would in an automatic. Since it's a six-speed manual, you have to work it, which is the fun part.

It has a tachometer in the head-up display which prompts you to shift gears at the right moment. Get it right, and it'll hit 100kph in4.7 seconds.

What's it like to drive?

It's an experience no one who loves cars should miss. It is a blast. I know that's a biased opinion and not very analytical, but really, it's a blast!

On paper, a 400bhp small-block V8 sounds interesting. When you're the one stepping on the gas, however, it's simply thrilling. Acceleration is breathtaking and it just pins you back into your seat.

With the traction control off, it's easy to spin the wheels and toss out the rear end out. But, it is docile when you want it to be.

Have you modified it or do you plan to?

Even though I enjoy modifying cars, I have not touched this one.

When it comes to sportscars, I prefer themto look stock and I have no issues with theway the factory has tuned them. However,I do want to add a GPS system and a rear camera. I will keep the rest of the car as original as possible.

Which other interesting cars have you had?

I had a 2008 Infiniti G35, which was an excellent blend of both a family car and sports saloon. Aside from my Corvette, I havea Nissan Pathfinder which I use for outings with my family. But, I do miss my old G35.

What is your dream car?

A red Corvette Z06, but if money was no object, I would love a Corvette ZR1, Ferrari Enzo and a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Bio

• Name Mohammad Omar
  • Job Programme manager for a mobile telecom company
  • From Pakistan
  • Wheels 2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6
  • In the UAE Three years
-------------------------
By Imran Malik, wheels