Punjab News Now, IT diploma in Punjab schools

chief

Prime VIP
Patiala, June 23

In order to increase the chances of employment for government school students after Class XII, the Education Department has come with Information Technology (IT) Diploma from July 1 in all government senior secondary schools of the state.

Under this scheme, one-year IT Diploma classes will be given in all schools where current students of Class XII or pass-outs can attend classes after school hours. The fees for this course will be Rs 1,000 per student.

Giving information in this regard, MS Sodhi, district coordinator of Information and Communication Technology, said a group of 30 students would be formed for this course in all schools and computer teachers would give these classes.

The students will also be given certificates after the completion of the diploma. They will also be paid extra for these classes. He said he had already received around 400 applications from Patiala and the number was sure to increase.

This step of the Education Department has got thumbs up from students and their parents as well. They feel it is a very good decision as the professional diplomas were very expensive and many of them could not afford it. This will also increase the chance of seeking jobs after Class XII.

Ramandeep Kaur, a student, says, “Forget about degrees, even the cost of diplomas nowadays are almost out of our reach. This will certainly help us in getting jobs as many students like me have to take up jobs to support our family.”

Seconding her opinion, her father Swaran Singh feels this is a good opportunity for his kids to stand on their own feet. “I cannot afford to provide for professional degrees for my kids and regular study like a simple graduation hardly provides any chance for job. This professional diploma will certainly open new opportunities for them, he adds.”