No regrets about confessing - Ashraful

Gill Saab

Yaar Malang
Mohammad Ashraful has said he wanted a clean break from his involvement in fixing, which was why he confessed his wrongdoings to the ACSU in 2013. Ashraful was banned for eight years for his role in fixing during the 2013 BPL, and his only gripe was with the length of his penalty, which he felt could have been shorter.

Ashraful's ban includes a three-year suspended sentence, which could reduce his punishment to five years if he completes authorised anti-corruption education programmes under the BCB, ICC or Asian Cricket Council. He said he did not regret confessing to the ACSU, though the BPL corruption tribunal had said in its detailed verdict that the investigation was flawed.

"I don't have any regret confessing what I did," Ashraful told ESPNcricinfo. "I knew that I would be punished from the moment I confessed. The only thing that could have happened was probably a lesser punishment. Maybe they could have cut down a year or two. Or they could have given me a chance to play domestic cricket. Otherwise it becomes hard to survive without playing cricket.

"I just wanted to come out clean the next time I play cricket. I didn't think about whether they [the ACSU] did a good or a bad job. I just wanted to come out with it."

Ashraful has been in good spirits after the initial shock following the BCB suspending him in June last year, and played unauthorised matches in Dhaka and the USA. He said he would consult his lawyers about when to file an appeal, which has to be done within 21 days of the sentencing.

"I am positive that I can come back to cricket after five years. I have already served one year," Ashraful said of his ban, which was backdated to the beginning of his suspension. "I will be appealing after I receive the full judgment, having consulted my legal representatives."