Mohit Raina: I shouldn’t have played Ashoka

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
Still popular as Mahadev, Mohit Raina became an overnight sensation after playing the title character in 'Devon Ke Dev... Mahadev'. His tryst with mythology led him to do a historical, where he played the grown-up Ashoka in 'Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat', but it failed to rake in the expected ratings.
The actor takes us by surprise when he points out that it was a challenge to break the connect that was already made by young artiste Siddharth Nigam as Ashoka. "That role was a challenge as Siddharth had already established a strong connect with viewers. He is talented enough to give anyone a run for their money," says the actor, adding, "We tried to make some sense of the grown-up Ashoka, but by that time, all stories around him had already been explored. Also, I entered the show during IPL — a time when many avoid a new project or doing anything big. I still managed to sustain for two months and the character became popular. I wasn't completely rejected, but I agree that the project didn't work in my favour. I could have easily avoided the show."
We hear that he was approached to play Lord Shiva in Santoshi Maa. Ask him about it and he replies, "I am getting several offers, but I won't play Lord Shiva again."
Point out to him that he sounds weighed down by the popularity of the iconic character, Mohit says in his defence, "Mahadev has been the biggest role of my career and it's deeply etched in people's mind. It's not easy to recreate that magic, but that does not mean that I can't be accepted in another role. I haven't got a chance to showcase what I am capable of. It might be difficult to imagine me play a normal character, but I would like to take up a light role."

Getting warm on the subject, he adds, "I would like to be part of a finite series, in which I can play an army officer. I have always been fascinated by the uniform. Not many know that I had almost joined the National Defence Academy but life had other plans for me."

On the personal front, the actor is dating Mouni Roy, but both have been guarded about their relationship. Prod him about it and he says, "I prefer to keep my personal life separate and don't want it under media glare. It doesn't really remain the same if it's completely out there. I have never even brought my mother or any other family member in front of the camera despite many requests."
But there have been several reports of him tying the knot with Mouni next year. "No, that's not true," he dismisses the stories, adding, "I don't know where these rumours are coming from. I want to settle down someday, but no one is in a hurry."
'Mahadev' was not only instrumental in bringing the couple together, but the show also catapulted them to fame. Is there a possibility of Mohit working with Mouni again? "It is extremely difficult to recreate the magic of Mahadev and Sati. It would be left on the maker on how to do justice to it," he signs off.