Life Story: I Lost 17 Of My Friends And Buried Them Myself

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
hop750x500-1.jpg

I was the student of 2nd year and was in school giving my exam on 16th December. I went down to use bathroom exactly at 10:30 am and while I was inside I heard shots firing.

I came out to see what’s happening outside and the first thing I saw was a man with AK47 in his hand. As soon as he saw me on the other side of the grill, he fired shots at me. I would have been the first student martyr of the massacre but I was fortunate enough that the bullet hit the wall instead.

He shouted ‘Odreka’ meaning ‘Stop’ but I hid behind the pillar and two more shots were fired. I think he did not want to waste his time and moved to auditorium instead.

I was fortunate enough to slip pass him to the nearest class where already 28 students of 7th grade were present. After 15 minutes when few managed to escape from the auditorium, I lead them the way to the class. I saved those 15 and barricaded the door and came out in the corridors to rescue children and injured.

I wanted to go to my friends who were in still in there but I couldn’t manage to find a way around the firing and grenades. All terrorists were dressed in Shalwar Kameez and were speaking Pushto.

I lost 17 of my friends and buried them myself. Funerals, misery, darkness clouded my life and sent me in the abyss of loneliness. I now plan to continue to my studies and join Pakistan army not only because of my 17 friends but because of the loss of 50,000. If I had to compare myself before the attack and after, I would say that I now want to live for others.

I believe that nothing can destroy us, and we have to stand for those who want us to stand. Burial of 17 haunts me, I miss them, I need them. They were my life, it is not easy to start over again.

People forget and move on, maybe because everyone is just so busy with their lives, but we are a resilient nation and no matter how many times we are pushed to the ground, we will stand up and fight again.