Kites grounded in Chennai

chief

Prime VIP
Hrithik Roshan's Kites has become the first casualty to the face off between Bollywood and South Indian film industry over the conduct of IIFA function in Colombo. Due to the pressure from a little known new political party, Naaam Thamizhar Party, all six theatres showing the movie in Chennai have stopped screening Kites as Hrithik Roshan is participating in the festival held in Sri Lanka.

Says Adhiyamaan, District President, Naaam Thamizhar Party, "Sri Lanka is trying to cover up their genocide of Tamils. These actors don't understand our feeling."

South India accounts for ten percent of Bollywood's revenue and Chennai less than a percent. Expressing solidarity with the Lankan Tamil, The South Indian Film Chamber had threatened to boycott Bollywood's new releases of the stars who attend the IIFA event.

Expressing the concern of South Indian Film Fraternity, actress Khushbu, says, "When there was a crisis in Bollywood we have all supported. For example, when Shah Rukh was in trouble I was the first to express solidarity with him on NDTV."

With pressure mounting from the film industry and fringe political groups theatre owners are feeling helpless.

Even movie goers seem to be divided on this issue.

"I love my country, I love Tamil Nadu. In my view as a responsible citizen we should have respect for our neighbouring country," says a film buff.

Disagrees another film enthusiast from Chennai, "There are many places like Toronto, South Africa to name a few where the venue should have been shifted."

The South Indian Film Chamber of Commerce itself will meet only on Monday to take a final call but this issue has now given fodder to lesser known political outfits to come to limelight.