Punjab News Khatra may contest as independent

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Patiala December 31:

Another rebellion is on the cards for Shiromani Akali Dal. After expressing his resentment over the party ticket given to Kuldeep Kaur Tohra from Patiala (rural) constituency a few days back, Youth Akali Dal general secretary Satbir Singh Khatra appears all set to contest as an Independent.

Satbir is the son of Fatehgarh Sahib Senior Superintendent of Police Ranbir Singh Khatra, who has been reportedly asked by Election Commission to clarify whether his son is contesting polls or not. Ranbir wrote to his superiors, including DIG, IG and to the Home department saying that his son “intends” to contest the Vidhan Sabha polls and that he was ready to be transferred if authorities felt it necessary.

“I have written to my seniors that my son intends to contest the Vidhan Sabha polls and in the process if authorities deem it fit I may be transferred from Fatehgarh Sahib. I have also marked a copy to the Election Commission,” he said. Denying having received any communiqué from the Election Commission, Khatra claimed that he decided to write to his seniors and the Commission after learning about the remarks of EC through the ‘media’.

The SSP, however, rued that it was “premature” to ask about his son’s likely candidature at this stage. “The notification of elections is yet to be issued on January 5. And January 16 is the date of the withdrawal of nominations. I will be able to tell whether my son will contest only on January 17,” said Khatra. “Before writing to my seniors today afternoon, I asked my son about his plans of contesting polls.

He told me that he would take a call after consulting his supporters in a meeting on January 1,” said the SSP. “That is why I have used the word intends in my letter today,” he added. Asked about his father’s reply, Satbir said: “It is good to take precautionary measures.”