Kallis to play for Sydney Thunder

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Sydney Thunder have pulled off a big coup by signing up veteran South African all-rounder, Jacques Kallis for the next two seasons of the Big Bash.

The 38-year old all-rounder retired from Tests at the end of the India series last December, but continues to play in the shorter version of the game. He has also been selected for the upcoming ODI series against Sri Lanka this August.

The opportunity to play alongside Mike Hussey was what attracted Kallis to sign up with the Western Sydney franchise. "I've never played with Mike before and I'm looking forward to sharing a dressing-room with him. For many years I played against him. I've always got on well with him and spent a bit of time with him over a drink or two during the IPL. Sydney is an awesome city and I have always enjoyed spending time there. I would love to try and help the Thunder become a successful team," he said.

Kallis said he was highly impressed with the quality of the cricket in the Big Bash and playing in Australia would hold him in good stead ahead of the 2015 World Cup, to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand. "The Big Bash looks like good fun and it is obviously of a very high standard. I certainly am looking forward to it and would love to be part of a successful and enjoyable campaign with the Thunder. It is also an opportunity to spend time in Australia before a major event, being the World Cup," he said.

I think it will be an advantage because it will give me an opportunity to get familiar with the conditions, but my priority is to have a fun and successful time with the Thunder," he added.