It’s been 17 years but I’m earning today because of Ishq tera tadpave: Sukhbir

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
_a0754b3079a811e69f8c92f0a5be7f74-1.jpg

Pop singer Sukhbir’s hit ’90s single ‘Ishq tera tadpave’ can always be found on most party playlists. The track is a favourite at weddings too. Ask him if the song’s popularity ever overlapped his own fame as an artiste, and Sukhbir says, “Definitely. Because of that one song, I think people even forgot my name. They simply remember me as the guy who sang ‘Oh ho ho ho (sings)’.”

But the ‘Prince of Bhangra’ feels the track has been a “blessing” for him. “I’m earning today because of ‘Ishq tera tadpave’. It’s been 17 years since its release, and I’m still remembered for it. That one song was like Sholay (1975) for me,” he says.

Despite such popularity, Sukhbir hasn’t been involved in film music. The singer believes it is “difficult” to rely on Bollywood music composers. “There were two incidents, during which my songs were finalised [to be released as part of a film’s soundtrack]. I was told, ‘Yeh toh confirmed hai (This is confirmed).’ But finally, the tracks were dropped by the producers of the movie. Now, until someone actually releases my track as their film’s song, I don’t believe them,” he says.

Sukhbir has released a revised version of his former hit ‘Gal ban gayi’ in collaboration with Yo Yo Honey Singh. The artiste wasn’t worried about being overshadowed by Yo Yo’s popularity. “That thought never crossed my mind,” he says, adding, “As an artiste, Honey Singh has carved a niche for himself. We have wanted to work together for a long time, and then finally it happened.”