Punjab News Interim bail brings relief in teachers’ camp

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Amritsar April 7:

The recent judgement of the Punjab and Haryana High Court granting interim bail to 20 teachers of the local Khalsa College has brought a sigh of relief to the teachers’ camp.

The teachers were booked on March 31 on the basis of a complaint submitted by Dr Daljit Singh, Principal of Khalsa College, and Jaswinder Singh Dhillon, Principal of Khalsa College of Education. A case under various sections of the IPC was registered with the police station cantonment for allegedly trespassing and creating a ruckus in their (principals’) residential premises, located inside the college on March 17.

However, after failing to obtain anticipatory bail instantly from the district court, Amritsar, which deferred the hearing in the matter till April 8, the teachers moved the high court to evade arrest. Nevertheless, directing on the petition filed by SS Rangi and 19 other teachers, the bench headed by Justice KC Puri, yesterday, granted them interim bail. Dr Daljit Singh maintained that the teachers’ attitude and undesirable language they used was against the moral principles of the teaching profession. “I and my counterpart have been hurt. The matter is subjudice and I have full faith in judiciary,” he said.

On the other hand, the visibly relaxed teachers said they did not violate any law but held their protest in a democratic manner and now the matter was with the district court. “Let the law take its course. We are hopeful of getting heard in a sympathetic manner in the hearing at the district court, too. At present, according to the norms stipulated by the PCCTU, we will be busy holding the annual general elections of the Khalsa College Teachers’ Union for two days. The next course of action will be decided after the court’s ruling,” said SS Rangi, lecturer, Khalsa College.