I'm ready to direct: Omi Vaidya

Gill Saab

Yaar Malang
Indian American actor Omi Vaidya, who had the audiences in splits as funny man Chatur Ramalingam in '3 Idiots', is all set to wield the megaphone and says his directorial debut will be a "zara hatke" Hindi movie about supernatural powers.

"I went to New York film school and learnt the nitty-gritty of filmmaking, editing and acting there. I learnt the technical language that is used on the sets. You will soon see me using all my techniques in my directorial venture," Omi told us in an interview.

"I am busy working on a script, which is my first step towards direction. It is going to be a Hindi language film, but not a typical Bollywood masala film," added the 29-year-old who was also seen in 'Dil Toh Bachcha Hai Ji'.

Explaining his directorial venture, he said that his take on the film is a little different but it would be a commercial film for sure.

"The film is based on supernatural powers. As of now, it is too early to reveal any other detail, but for sure I am working on my debut project."

His Bollywood journey seems to be going in the right direction. He featured in the recently released 'Desi Boyz' and will also be seen in the multi-starrer 'Players'.

When you have co-stars like Abhishek Bachchan, Bobby Deol, Sonam Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Neil Nitin Mukesh and Vinod Khanna, it is not easy to make space for yourself, says the actor.

"It was challenging to make my own space in the film. I had to make that extra effort to make my presence felt. Though we have our individual slots, it was a big team of seven players. The film belongs to the action genre and honestly I found it different and a bit difficult as well," he said.

Though he started with a hit like '3 Idiots' and got enough spotlight, thanks to his role in the film, his ride has not been an easy one as he was out of work for many months.

"People think it's been a cakewalk for me. No, after '3 Idiots', I had to wait for a long time. I was nearly sitting at home with no work for about eight months. 'Players' and 'Dil Toh Bachcha Hai Ji' came at the same time and I thought I should just grab both of them. When I was offered the role, they were not so meaty, but later as the shooting started, they liked my work and extended my time slot in the film," he said.

He admits he doesn't fit into the frame of a typical Bollywood actor.

"I know I don't belong to the Bollywood league, I am different, my acting skills, my range, my training in acting and the method is a little 'hatke'," he said, adding: "I feel lucky that in three years I have earned an individual place for myself in the industry."

Repeating roles is not what he wants to do.

"I just try not to repeat myself even in the genre of comedy. Also, I have tried to give different treatment to each of my roles. I am in search of growth. I want to grow as an actor and be capable of doing every kind of role. I don't want to get typecast to any one genre. I want to explore my limits and bring out the best in me," he signed off