I have learnt to stick to my strengths: Ishant Sharma

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Bridgetown July 1:

India's young fast bowler, who picked up a career best six for 55 against the West Indies on the third day of the second cricket Test, said sticking to strengths was key to his success.
The 22-year-old Delhi boy has suffered several ups and down in his five-year-old international career. On Thursday, his resilience finally paid off as he bowled out the West Indies for 190 on a lively track at the Kensington Oval. He also became the fifth youngest bowler to pick up his 100th Test wicket in just his 33rd Test appearance.

"Everyone wants to be a Test cricketer. Especially as a bowler because if you don't bowl well in the first spell, you still get a chance to come back for a second spell or a third spell. "I lost my pace and I lost my rhythm but now I've learnt to stick to whatever your strength is. In Test matches, you have to be patient, that's why it's called Test cricket," he said. Sharma said he never expected to be the fifth youngest to get 100 Test wickets. Only compatriot Kapil Dev, New Zealand's Daniel Vettori, Pakistan's Waqar Younis and teammate Harbhajan Singh were younger than Sharma when they took their 100th Test wicket.

"When I started playing cricket. I obviously never expected to be the fifth youngest to take 100 wickets in Tests. Especially because in the last five years I've seen so many ups and downs. I've struggled with my bowling," he said. Asked about his strengths, Sharma said: "Obviously, pace and bounce is my strength in bowling. Even if I'm doing well with my swing, I don't want to lose my pace and bounce."