Hrithik Roshan confirmed for ‘Agneepath’ remake

chief

Prime VIP

Director-producer Karan Johar knows he doesn’t have it to direct a remake of a film like Agneepath. But he also remembers that his late dad Yash Johar wished a remake of the 1990 movie. Now as Karan readies to fulfill his dad’s wish, he has signed Hrithik Roshan to step into the shoes of Amitabh Bachchan who immortalized the character Vijay Dinanath Chauhan with his National Award winning performance. Naturally, Hrithik is thrilled about the project.

Directed by the late Mukul Anand, Agneepath had Amitabh Bachchan playing a gangster Vijay Dinanath Chauhan. Strangely the film couldn’t work at the box office though it acquired a cult status. “My father often wondered why this film didn't get the kind of commercial success it should have. He constantly told me, ‘Karan, we must remake ‘Agneepath’,” Karan is quoted as saying by a daily.

As essentially Karan is a director who has earned ribbons to deal with romantic themes, directing an action film is not his forte; so when his assistant director from My Name Is Khan Karan Malhotra expressed his desire to direct Agneepath remake, Karan was more than happy to lend his help.

The film will see some changes: Mithun Chakraborty’s role of Krishnan Iyer MA will be axed, and for the role of Hrithik’s ladylove, Priyanka Chopra might be approached. Karan is in talks with some of the best in the industry for other roles. He will announce the names soon.