How Often Do You Clean Your Makeup Brushes?

Cleaning your makeup brushes is one of the most crucial, yet overlooked, tasks that should be done regularly. Cleaning your brushes is important for multiple reasons. First of all, brushes are an investment. It has taken me years to build up my brush collection and we all know they aren’t cheap. Quality makeup brushes can range in price from $5 to above $50. It’s important to take care of them because they should last you years, maybe even a lifetime if you take care of them properly. Another important reason your brushes need cleaned regularly is because they collect bacteria. If you’re prone to acne this is especially true. If you don’t clean your brushes your only continuing to spread bad bacteria that can cause breakouts. And finally, if you’re not cleaning your brushes you will not get the optimum results from them. A brush packed full of makeup isn’t going to do the job it was designed to do. Here are the steps to take when cleaning your brushes.

1. Find a makeup brush shampoo. I’m currently using Well-Cared For Brush Conditioning Shampoo by Bare Escentuals. I love this product because it also conditions your bristles and is free of skin-irritants. For a more budget-friendly option, use a mild baby shampoo such as Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. Next, add a quarter size amount of your shampoo to a cup of lukewarm water and swirl your brush around in the water for a few seconds.

2. Rinse out your brushes with lukewarm water, squeeze out the excess water, and make sure they are smoothed out into their original form. Lay your brushes on a towel flat to dry overnight.

For some brushes, such as lip and eye brushes, I will also clean them with alcohol and then shampoo them for extra cleanliness. Some people would tell you not to do this, but I like to make sure my brushes are extra clean. If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to shampoo your brushes, another great product to use is Quick Change also by Bare Escentuals. This is a very quick-drying cleansing spray that removes the pigment out of your brushes and sanitizes them. If you’re a makeup artist, it’s a great product to use in between clients.

Makeup brushes that are used for personal use should be cleaned every 2 to 4 weeks. Make sure to follow these steps and your on your way to clean, better performing brushes that will give you optimum application results. You might even see a difference in your skin too!

Do you clean your makeup brushes regularly?