How lone survivor Harjit Masih escaped from the clutches of Islamic State in Iraq

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
masih_4cb5edc82c0911e8a5fc524b5b61153f-1.jpg

Harjit Masih, the lone Indian worker who managed to flee from Islamic State captivity in Iraq in June 2014, was shot in the leg but managed to escape.

The only bread earner in a family of four, the resident of village Kala Afghana in Gurdaspur district of Punjab, was one of the 40 Indian workers abducted by the terror outfit.

Narrating his tale in 2017, Masih had said, “Everything was fine till May of 2014. We enjoyed our work at a factory, though some incidents of firing by IS militants happened in the outer parts of Mosul. But, a month later, they entered the factory and kidnapped all of us.”

Speaking to HT in 2017, Masih ahd said, “we were shifted to a place I could not identify. On that fateful day, they forced us to sit on our knees, in a row, and opened fire. I received a shot in my right leg and was covered with bodies. I fell unconscious. Next day, when I regained consciousness, I found all my fellow workers dead.”

“After a few days of walking, I managed to reach a Bangladeshi relief camp and was rushed to hospital. A week later, I returned to India.”

Masih statement on being a witness to his Indian co-workers being massacred was then dismissed by the central government, which said they are treating them as ‘missing’

“The entire incident of IS terrorists shooting the men happened in front of me. I wonder why the Indian government is not accepting the reality, Masih responded.

“If the government says that all Indians are safe, why has it not found any of them in these three years. Moreover, what will the government get by not telling the truth? Ultimately, some day or the other, the truth will come out, ” Masih added.