how did Guru Nanak even get into Mecca?

Yaar Punjabi

Prime VIP
Question: Non-Muslims are not allowed into Mecca, so if Guru Nanak wasn't a Muslim, then how did Guru Nanak even get into Mecca?

Answer..

'No Muslims and believers in the unity of God should be hindered in any way if he wishes to visit the Holy Cities and circumambulate the luminous Ka'ba [in Mecca].'42 42. M.D., vol. 6, f. 17, firman no. 39, 1564-5, quoted by Faroqhi, op. cit. 147 (Ottoman imperial firman)

Mecca was under the control of the Ottoman Empire from 1229 to 1923 - the quote above is from a text available from 1564 (30yrs after Guru Jee went) in which it states that in those times only people who did not beleive in one God were forbidden entry into Mecca.

Even in the Quran it only says: "Oh you who believe! Truly the idolaters are unclean; so let them not, after this year, approach the Sacred Mosque...." (Quran - 9:28)

It's clear that it was only idol worshipers (pagans) who were forbidden to enter the city of Mecca. Guru Jee believed in One God and spoke out against idol worship....so Guru Jee would not have been forbidden entry.

Also in 1853, Sir Richard Burton from Britain visited Mecca...now if he was able to visit Mecca in 1853, why couldn't Guru Jee 300yrs earlier when there weren't the same restrictions as today?

Guru Nanak definitely did go to Mecca but one things for sure, Guru Jee didn't go there as a Muslim on pilgrimage (Hajj):

"I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan. I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end." (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1136)