History: Devadasi and their roles

pps309

Prime VIP
I am very much confused about the concept of Devadasi and their roles?
Does anyone know Who were/are Devadasi? What was/is their role?
I heard it was an old culture, but some places like in Banaras, it is still there.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
I think it would be suffice to say that 'Devdasi' is a hindu Nun and the practice still does exist.

Ramta

-

The Devadasi parampara is legitimised prostitution in Hinduism. Was introduced as
a part of Tantrik beliefs and methods of worship in some Temples of India to provide
regular female attendants. Hinduism does not condemn prostitutes. There is a real
reason why prostitution is still not considered as a punishable offense in Indian Law.

Although the original devadasis were brahmacharinis their entire life, the
contemporary sexual aspects of the rituals that accompany dedication are now
considered by many Hindus to be exploitative and not mandatory. Nevertheless
this practice continues unabated in some places where a devadasi would usually
acquire a "patron" after her "deflowering ceremony". Patronship in a majority of
cases is achieved at the time of the dedication ceremony itself. The patron who
secures this right of spending the first night with the girl can pay a fixed sum of
money to maintain a permanent liaison with the devadasi, pay to maintain a
relationship for a fixed amount of time, or terminate the liaison after the deflowering
ceremony. A permanent liaison with a patron does not bar the girl from entertaining
other clients, unless he specifies otherwise. In case the girl entertains, other men
have to leave the girl’s house when her patron comes.

Traditionally, no stigma was attached to the devadasi or to her children, and other
members of their caste received them on terms of equality. The children of a devadasi
enjoyed legitimacy and devadasis themselves were outwardly indistinguishable from
married women of their own community.

Furthermore, a devadasi was believed to be immune from widowhood and was called
akhanda saubhagyavati. Since she was wedded to a divine deity, she was supposed
to be one of the especially welcome guests at weddings, and was regarded as bearer
of fortune. At weddings, people would get a string of the tali (wedding lock) prepared
by her and she threaded on it a few beads from her own necklace. The presence of a
devadasi on any religious occasion in the house was regarded as sacred and she was
treated with due respect and was presented with gifts.

Hinduism accepts peoples wisdom as well as their ignorance without passing snobbish
judgements. The diversity of the world and all the people in the various stages of
ignorance or spiritual progress are accepted as an integral part of universal reality.

Thanks

-

pps309

Prime VIP
I think it would be suffice to say that 'Devdasi' is a hindu Nun and the practice still does exist.
Yeah, kind of but not exactly same.
I guess Nun's do not involve in sexual activities. Do they?

Why I asked, Coz on the net I got very mixed responses. I mean the name "Devadasi" itself reflects purity but it seems only girls from low casts are pushed into this.
If it is so pure why not Brahmins involve their girls in it. It seems to me that it was something which was very noble in the begining but later on kalyugi brahminisation screwed it down to the level of prostitution.

Ramta

-

It seems to me that it was something which was very noble in the begining
but later on kalyugi brahminisation screwed it down to the level of prostitution.

I don't think so because I believe it was supposed to be that way. It was later with the
arrival of the British Christian missionaries, doctors, journalists, administrators and
social workers— strongly influenced by Christian morality and religion, began to see
the features of the devadasi institution as reprehensible in the utmost.

Originally Hinduism never damned prostitution as an evil. It never mattered to Hinduism
that its followers also indulge in prostitution as a profession and tolerated them as
ignorant(not evil) souls without crushing them under the weight if its scriptural morality.

Thanks

-

J@tti

..Majajan..
I wonder how many people regard prostitutes as sacred. I did not think it was even legal because I remember some women fighting to make it legal to protect themselves from cops that take undue advantage of them.

Ramta

-

I wonder how many people regard prostitutes as sacred. I did not think it was even legal because I remember some women fighting to make it legal to protect themselves from cops that take undue advantage of them.

The law doesn't say anything that makes prostitution illegal. Soliciting is illegal.
Running a racket is illegal. Prostitution is not. It is protected under the right to
choose a profession act.

Thanks

-

Ramta

-

I wish we could have clear crisp laws.

We have a clear crisp law regarding sex workers. No sex worker was ever prosecuted
for being a sex worker.

But by 'clear-crisp-laws' you don't mean making prostitution illegal, do you ?

Thanks

-

pps309

Prime VIP
-

We have a clear crisp law regarding sex workers. No sex worker was ever prosecuted
for being a sex worker.

But by 'clear-crisp-laws' you don't mean making prostitution illegal, do you ?

Thanks

-
No, I never meant that.

I mean to say law says prostitution is not illegal but solicitation and running it is illegal. I could not get the logic behind this.

Ramta

-

I mean to say law says prostitution is not illegal but solicitation and running it is illegal.
I could not get the logic behind this.

Advertising through Tv, Radio, newspapers is illegal. Institutionalising it is also illegal.
An adult women willingly providing her services in return for money is not illegal,
provided she is workinh on her own and is not a part of a racket..

What the idea behind it is is something no one knows. But prostitutes in Bengal
have unionized themselves and have been running their own a cooperative bank
which also provides insurance policies to them.

Thanks

-