Henry wants Ireland-France replay: FIFA says no

The Associated Press

irelandfrance091118-1.jpg

Irish team members were livid after Swedish referee Martin Hansson, left, allowed a goal by William Gallas to stand. (Lionel Bonaventure/AFP/Getty Images

FIFA has ruled out the possibility of replaying the France-Ireland World Cup qualifier, rejecting an Irish appeal after Thierry Henry handled the ball to set up the deciding goal in extra time.

"In the reply, FIFA states that the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed," the international federation said in a statement Friday. "As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final."

What Henry said

Quotes from Henry's press release to the British media on Friday.

"Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control.

"I have said at the time and I will say again that yes I handled the ball. I am not a cheat and never have been. It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area.

"I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand," Henry said. "I told the Irish players, the referee and the media this after the game.

"Naturally, I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa. There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalizing goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish."

But Henry himself said the "fairest solution" would be to replay the match.

Henry issued a statement after Friday's FIFA ruling, admitting he handled the ball and felt embarrassed at how France qualified for the World Cup at the expense of Ireland on Wednesday. But he said the handball was an "instinctive reaction" and denied cheating.

Henry says the fairest solution would be to replay the game, but acknowledged it is not in his control.

The French striker used his left hand to keep the ball from going out of play, then passed to William Gallas, who headed in the decisive goal. At the time of Henry's unpunished handball, the match was 17 minutes from reaching a penalty shootout.

The game at Stade de France ended in a 1-1 draw, enough to put France through to next year's World Cup in South Africa 2-1 on aggregate because the 1998 world champions won the first leg of the playoff in Dublin 1-0.

Henry admitted later that he handled the ball, but Swedish referee Martin Hansson did not spot the infraction.

France coach unapologetic

France coach Raymond Domenech says he and his players see no reason to apologize for the Henry handball.

Domenech said his team does not feel guilty about the way Henry handled the ball with his left hand before setting up Gallas' goal.

Domenech said on L'Express magazine's website that he "didn't understand why we have been asked to apologize."

In Dublin on Friday, the Football Association of Ireland said it had received FIFA's statement rejecting a replay. The FAI said its management board would meet to consider the matter later Friday.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen said he would raise the issue with French President Nicolas Sarkozy at a meeting of the 27 EU leaders in Brussels.

FIFA did order Uzbekistan and Bahrain to replay a World Cup qualifying match in 2005 following a referee's critical error. However, there is no precedent to order a replay because of second-guessing a referee's judgment on the field of play.

Irish lawmaker Joe McHugh said France should follow the 1999 precedent set by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, a Frenchman who volunteered to replay a match in England's FA Cup after the Gunners won on an unfair goal.

Re: Henry wants Ireland-France replay: FIFA says n

Some comments :

I'm surprised that a professional soccer player's instinct is to use his hand to keep the ball in. I would have thought that after the years of practice and playing, it would be second nature to use a legal body part to keep the ball in.

This desperate act is very common in the highest level of pro football. The trick is to not get caught.

FIFA has lost the legitimacy of the World cup. The cameras clearly saw this hand ball, and the referees have radio communications to inform them of infractions they did not see (this is how Zidane got a very late red card for his infamous head butt).

Henry tipped the ball in, FIFA knew. It's all about TV rating and money, it was better for France to go through than Ireland. Ironic from a country that sits on a very high moral horse on cheating with regards to the Tour De France and constant baseless accusations against Lance Armstrong.

What happened in unfortunate. Get over it.
Ireland was extremly lucky to be awarded a penalty against Georgia. We did not see Robbie Keane tell the ref that it should not have been a penalty. He knew it should not have been called. He was even offside on the same play. Instead he he quickly took the ball and scored from the spot.
What goes around comes around !!
Even Damien Duff came out and said this this morning he would have done the same had it been to Ireland's advantage and said: "If it was down the other end and it was going out of play, I would have chanced my arm ".
Even Roy Keane is not too sympathetic on the matter.

FIFA, as yet, has no video replay.

Actually, there have been a few incidences where an infraction was seen by TV, but not the refs, and a late penalty is given.

Those radio earpieces the refs wear are being used, but only when FIFA wants to use them. They won't make it official because this current way allows for match manipulation.

As a Canadian living in Ireland I'm surprised to see this story on CBC. I am also a Calgary Flames die-hard and this issue really reminds me of the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs when the Flames would have won the Stanley Cup if the ref had bothered to look at Gelinas' goal on the video replay. If they just took the time in all games, espically ones that make history or have the potential to make history, there is huge potential for very different outcomes. Its the referee's job to make the right calls after all.

I have lost all respect for Henry. I understand the guy wants to win and is under lots of pressure to do so, but he hand balled, plain and simple. The guy has no integrity.

Did he tell the ref he hand ball? No. The ref is there to make the calls but you could have said something. He told the ref AFTER the call was made.

Now he is calling for a replay AFTER FIFA said there won't be one. Nice. He is only commenting on anything once he knows it is safe to say something.

All he is trying to do is save face. The guy should have told the ref right away it was a handball.

When I play sports, if I break a rule I don't wait for someone to catch me, I own up to my mistake and correct the action myself. Lead by example Henry.

What I don't understand is why FIFA won't allow a rematch? Beyond the simple fact that it is only fair to the Irish team, I can guarantee that there won't be a single empty seat in the stadium because this match will be a huge deal. They could double the ticket prices and still have the stadium completely packed.
Are they afraid of making a little extra money???

Naaley match dubara karwauna chahida....par fifa ney eh ni karna..kyunki jeh ireland pahunch gea...small country tah ohna da revenue ghat jana...

pps309

Prime VIP

There was one "Hand of God" by maradona to do a goal and there is new "Hand of God" . :)

I was just wondering why they dont have replays in football????

It was a clear call that could have been sorted out on the spot.

onlycheema

Banned

It robbed ireland's economy, those guys are just living it off till now due to guiness. And yes see a player of high repute will do something like this to win a match or be in a game. It may have been unintentional, but aftereffects are not so nice, he tweeted i am sorry or something on these lines.

kaka_ji

Elite

woowwwww i like farnce........jidan v aa goal te goal aa menu khushi aa..............inaa k tuka alag hi jandda aa maradona hune de time ch v mukii lake goal kerde si

kaka_ji

Elite

hahahah.....................mukki hoyi ja ungal hogi.launde te hath hi si yaar.........mai mukki lawati.hahah.............per frane jit gyi na fer koi rola tani pia hun?

pps309

Prime VIP

main ta sunya india ne v challenge karta brazil nu ke aajo football field ch......

cricket match khedan lai

kaka_ji

Elite

hahaah..india walian ne 1300 goal khaake aauna ferihna da dhid bharna............kite fer ni kehnde assi te nage peran naal khelna aa......