Henin beats Peer to enter Porsche GP final

dc16

- dEsPeraTe cRaNky -
Justine Henin beat Shahar Peer of Israel 6-3, 6-2 Saturday at the Porsche Grand Prix to advance to her third final in five tournaments since her comeback in January from retirement.

Henin will look for her first title of the year against Samantha Stosur of Australia, who defeated qualifier Anna Lapushchenkova 7-5, 6-3 in the Russian's first tour-level tournament.

Peer got no presents for her 23rd birthday from the former No. 1.

"I had so many chances, but Justine was very aggressive. I am happy and take the positive out of it," Peer said. "Because I lost doesn't mean that I don't have a good birthday."

Henin was runner-up in Brisbane and at the Australian Open in January, her first two tournaments after returning from 18 months in retirement. The Belgian won the Stuttgart event in 2007 and was a finalist in 2001 and 2003. She was a wild-card entry this year.

"I made mistakes but I was good enough today," Henin said. "I just have to keep going and to be aggressive. When I am aggressive my game is so much better.

"It's great to be playing good tennis here and to be in the final again. I hope it continues so," she said.

Henin had a scary moment on her first match point, when she took a wrong step on the red clay and fell while trying to reach a shot. Peer's ball hit the line, but on her next match point, Henin fired a backhand return winner down the line.

She finished with 28 winners, twice as many as Peer.

Henin has four French Open titles among her seven major championships and began her preparation on clay in Stuttgart.

Although the indoor court makes Stuttgart conditions very different from those in Paris, Henin said it was good to get some matches under her belt.

Henin is playing with a special sling to protect her broken little finger on her left, non-playing hand.

"I hope to win my first title, it would be fantastic. I hope that the clay helps," Henin said.