Harbhajan apologises, hits back at SGPC

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
Harbhajan apologises, hits back at SGPC

October 07, 2006 13:44 IST
Ace off-spinner Harbhajan Singh on Saturday apologised to the Sikh community for "hurting" their emotions by keeping his hair open in an advertisement.
Harbhajan, who was pulled up by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, the apex religious body of Sikhs, said he respects the emotions of the people of his community and did not do it intentionally.
"If my action has hurt the Sikh community, then I feel sorry for it. I will take note of it (in future)," Harbhajan said.
The SGPC on Friday demanded an apology from the ace spinner, saying Sikhs are prohibited from keeping their hair open.
"Harbhajan Singh should apologise for appearing in the advertisement if he considers himself to be a Sikh. Our religion prohibits keeping one's hair open. We also strongly object to his appearing in the advertisement in this fashion," SGPC president Avtar Singh had said.
However, Harbhajan on Saturday slammed the SGPC for raising the issue in the media.
"It's bad that the SGPC took up the issue in media. If they had any problem, they should have called me like a son and told me. But their action was wrong," he said.
Harbhajan said he had no idea that his photo-shoot in this fashion for an advertisement would become so big an issue.
"I respect the emotions of Sikhs and I never knew it would snowball into such a big issue."
The SGPC head had said they would seek an apology from the (liquor) company that had released the advertisement, also figuring other popular cricket stars Yuvraj Singh and Mahinder Singh Dhoni along with the spinner.
Avtar Singh had said that Harbhajan should learn something from English spinner Monty Panesar, who despite being brought up abroad and playing for England promotes Sikhism.
However, Harbhajan said there are thousands of Sikhs who had even cut their hair and are occupying highest posts in public life, but nobody pointed fingers at them.
"They compare me with Panesar, which is wrong. Comparisons should not be made in the first place, but if they have to, why SGPC does not compare me with Yuvraj Singh and Gurdas Mann (both Sikhs who have trimmed their hair)," he said.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
yaar, ohnu pata hona chahida ke Guruaan ne kes kholan ton mana kitta hai...je gand paana siga te kesh hi kata ke pandaa

Some1

Focusing on ________
how stupid of the sgpc :sleepy

te aithe abroad kihne ii sardar baal khulle rakhi firde

sukhbir varge pony kari firde .. iko te kaanu ungal uthaunde ae :sleepy

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
how stupid of the sgpc :sleepy

te aithe abroad kihne ii sardar baal khulle rakhi firde

sukhbir varge pony kari firde .. iko te kaanu ungal uthaunde ae :sleepy

i dont think SGPC is wrong...Singh hoke Sharab nu promote karda hai oo...he's a role model for many Sikh boys...and Sikhs wont like any Sardar to remove his turban to promote such wrong products

MAVERICK

i dont think SGPC is wrong...Singh hoke Sharab nu promote karda hai oo...he's a role model for many Sikh boys...and Sikhs wont like any Sardar to remove his turban to promote such wrong products

chall yaar SP koi chakkar nahin....
jaat sab ton vadh sharaab pinde ne....
je tu shraab di gall kardan...
naale yaar ohne muafi vi tan mang layi...

Some1

Focusing on ________
oh plz .. jehre janne khanne sardar munde noon vekho saare sharaabi .. yes there mite be exceptions .. bt they r EXCEPtions not the whole sikh kaum ....

punjabis pride themselves on drinking .. har dooja song peen pillan te laran te hunda ... yaa fer kuri chadgi te peeli w/e all i mean to say is ...

sumwhere in ur argument .. ur wrong nd ur not seeing it

:sleepy

sgpc is wrong :sleepy

MAVERICK

oh plz .. jehre janne khanne sardar munde noon vekho saare sharaabi .. yes there mite be exceptions .. bt they r EXCEPtions not the whole sikh kaum ....

punjabis pride themselves on drinking .. har dooja song peen pillan te laran te hunda ... yaa fer kuri chadgi te peeli w/e all i mean to say is ...

sumwhere in ur argument .. ur wrong nd ur not seeing it

:sleepy

sgpc is wrong :sleepy

mainu si biba tusi aapna pakh rakh hukke ho....
aa fer kithon agg lagg gayi...