Guru Nanak Ji's visit to Kamrup

tomarnidhi

Once Guru Nanak, Bala and Mardana traveled to a part of India that was known for magic. The people of Kamrup are famous for their devotion to and practice of black magic. When they arrived, Guru Nanak meditated under a tree while Mardana went ahead in to the city to see if there was anything for them to eat or drink.

As Mardana got the the city well to get some water, some girls there asked him who he was and where he was from. When he talked they thought he sounded really funny because they spoke a different language. One of them said, “He sounds like a sheep, he’s bleating like a sheep!” They both laughed and the other said, “Let’s turn him in to one!” So she did some magic and put a thread around his neck. He immediately got on all fours and started bleating, “Baaa, baaha, bhaaha.” Everyone who saw started laughing a lot.

Guru Nanak sensed something and came over with Bala. The magic girls saw them coming over and decided to turn them in to animals too. One of them tried to cast a spell on Guru Nanak, “Bark like a dog!” She said. It was reversed though, she started barking like a dog. The other girl tried to defend her friend and raised her arm to cast a spell, but her arm just froze in the air. She couldn’t move it. Whatever they tried to do got reversed back on them.

One woman got alarmed and ran to tell the Queen. The Queen said, “I have to see this for myself!” When she got there she tried to help her sisters. Her magic didn’t work. Then she tried to do magic on Guru Nanak but that didn’t work either. She gave up and said, “You are a great magician! Please free my sisters and teach me your magic!” He freed the women, actually they were just bound by the affects of their own magic. Guru ji said, “The real magic is meditation on God.”

The Queen fell at the Guru’s feet and asked him to stay so they could honorably serve him. He told them, “I will stay. Listen, you have used your powers for mischief. You have not helped people. Stop tricking people and start saving them. God is inside us. Give that to people. Do your duties well. Show love to people. Meditate on God in your hearts and bring the cozy loving God in every house. This way you will be in bliss when you drop your bodies and go to the next realm. This way you will bring glory to your soul and light to the world..” The women changed their ways and Kamrup became a spiritual center of great compassion.