Guide : Buying Platinum Jewellery

tomarnidhi

Pure, rare and eternal. That’s the magic of platinum! If you are looking for jewellery that personifies you, then it has to be this precious metal. The most beautiful thing about platinum is that it makes for the perfect setting for gemstones and brings out the brilliance in a diamond like nothing else can. So treasure your platinum jewellery for all those special occasions in your life :-)

Celebrities all over the world exchange Platinum Love Bands to celebrate love. Recently, Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana and his wife Tahira celebrated their Platinum Day of Love. ““After knowing each other for over 12 years, it was a very special day when I realised I was in love with Tahira and professed it by calling her at 1:48 a.m. in the night. Reliving that moment today and celebrating it with platinum reaffirms the strength and stability of our relationship. My wife’s name Tahira means purity and platinum also is pure. Besides, the enduring metal rightly symbolises the beautiful emotion of everlasting love I feel for her. These Platinum love bands by Ranka Jewellers will always bring back very special memories that have bound us in a love that will never end.”

Why platinum?

Well, platinum does not fade or tarnish with time, making it an investment for eternity! Not just that. It is also 30 times rarer and more precious than gold. Here's why:

It is the purest of metals ever used to craft jewellery, with a purity of 95 per cent as opposed to 18 karat gold, which is only 75 per cent.
Platinum has a high density, which means that more metal is required to create a ring or any piece of jewellery than gold.
The heat used to melt platinum and mould it is much more than gold, and therefore, it requires more skill and craftsmanship.

Hallmark in Platinum
Look for the hallmark on the platinum jewellery.

How to buy platinum jewellery

There are authorised platinum retailers across the country who have a platinum counter in their stores. Hallmark on platinum jewellery lends credibility to the purity of platinum. It is imperative to check for the ‘Pt 950’ hallmark on the platinum jewellery that you buy. And each piece of jewellery comes with a tamper-proof quality assurance card that distinguishes authentic platinum from any other jewellery.

Do keep in mind that the making charges of platinum are also higher than gold as platinum, being a denser metal, needs advanced machinery and technique to craft it into jewellery and hence there are very few manufacturers in India for platinum.

Last edited: