Google Voice will allow all users to port their existing num

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Google Voice is an incredible service, and I often have to pinch myself to assure my brain that I’m not just dreaming it up, but one problem with it is you have to use the Google-supplied number with the service, instead of being given the chance to bring over your existing cell phone number.
That’s about to change, though. Google has been making a trial run of offering phone number porting through their Google Voice service, and now the search giant is confirming that they plan “to offer this feature to all users in the near future” for the cost of a couple sawbucks (that’s $20 in 21st Century parlance).
The brief trial of the porting process, which has now been pulled from users’ option pages, requires you to validate your number with Google and click through a set of terms and conditions warning you about the potential early-termination fees (or ETFs) that your existing carrier might impose upon you once they catch wind that Google’s sucking your phone number out from under them. Once that’s accomplished, though, you’re all set.
Sounds good, but right now, when in the “near future” Google will be bringing this functionality is very much up in the air.