Google to release Apple-like 'Find My Phone'

Google to release Apple-like 'Find My Phone' app at long last​

One of the last pivotal shortcomings of the Android OS ecosystem finally sees a solution for devices running Android 2.2 and up.

google_device_manager_610x276-1.png

One of the few OS perks iPhone owners have still held over the heads of their Android compatriots is Apple's official -- and free -- app for locating and remote wiping a lost device.
After years of user complaints and shoddy third-party variants, Google has finally answered iOS's "Find My iPhone" feature with a locator of its own: the Android Device Manager.

To be released later this month, the app will let Android users find and ring a misplaced or stolen device on a map in real time, as well as wipe its contents remotely. The feature will be available for users running Android 2.2 or later.

Google's solution to the increasing problem of device theft comes at a time when smartphone manufacturers have seen mounting pressure from authorities to add software-side features that could help curb what has been called a violent crime epidemic. Some initiatives, discussed at a meeting between lawmakers and tech giants like Apple and Samsung in June, have included the potential for a "kill switch," which would permanently brick a stolen device and make it worthless for resale.

But just how violent is smartphone theft -- which has picked up the unique law enforcement nickname of "Apple picking" -- becoming these days? Examples abound, including the killing of a 26-year-old Museum of Modern Art employee for his iPhone in the Bronx and the mugging of a Crown Heights, Brooklyn woman over her Android device at gunpoint.

JV

Punjabi jatt
Waise ek gal hai apple te google sona vichon google winner aa Bcoz android phone cheap aa and har koi afford kar sakda middle class family wala but apple Nhi only upper middle class wale hi karde aa waise vi Punjab vich apple 25 % baharo Aaye hoye aa kise ne stolen keha hoyea carrier walyea nu kise ne gift Kita hoyea lol