Google Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X Users Reporting More Handset Issues

Goku

Prime VIP
Staff member
huawei_google_nexus_6p_screenjpgoutputqu-1.jpg

The Huawei-made Google Nexus 6P is now in the news for having voice quality issues. Its smaller sibling, the LG-made Google Nexus 5X, is also reportedly facing issues with touchscreen responsiveness during charging.

According to user complaints on several threads from XDA forum and Google Product Forum, many Nexus 6P users are facing weak and spotty voice quality problems. This means that receivers are not able to hear Nexus 6P users properly. Majority of the users are facing problems using both the regular call mode and in speaker mode, all of which is resulting in them questioning the handset's microphone quality.

According to some users on the Google Product forum, the problem may be linked with the handset's noise cancellation setup. While some say that covering the rear microphone (placed below the rear camera) fixes the issue, some say that it actually is the reason why the problem occurs. A users named Nicholas Fitchett posted on Google Product forum saying that he disabled noise cancellation completely from the hardware via a build.prop modification and the smartphone worked just fine since then.

However, as more complaints continue to pour in to the forum, Google representatives have replied to the forum posts and are investigating the issue. "Thanks for your continued reports regarding poor call quality. The product team is investigating, and I'll update this thread as I have more information. I may reach out to a few of you for bug reports as well," said a Google employee named Orrin. In a separate forum post, Google product experts are recommending users to start their handsets in Safe Mode and see if the issue still exists. If it does, then Nexus 6P users can contact the Nexus support team for further help. If the problem does not exist in Safe Mode, this means a third-party app downloaded on the handset is causing the problem.

On the other hand, Nexus 5X users are facing a touchscreen issue while handset is charging, as seen from some forum posts. Some users are saying the reduced touchscreen responsiveness is most noticeable while typing fast on the keyboard while the handset is on charge, even with the original charger. Others are finding lags while scrolling or swiping on the display.

"Has anyone else found the scroll/swipe speed to be slow on the Nexus 5X compared to other handsets? Annoyingly, I can't find any settings for this. The issue is global and not limited to one app. With pointer trails on, there is visible lag between my finger's input and what happens on-screen. I've never seen this on any other device," said a user on XDA forum.

However, a final edit on the Reddit forum posts claims the chargers as the issue and not the Nexus 5X. "We've also worked out the issue - it's with the chargers, not the phones. They're insufficiently grounded. When a charger with a proper metal grounding pin is used, there are no problems. The grounding pin on the supplied LG charger is plastic," posted the user. Google is however, yet to address the issue. This is not the first time the LG-made Nexus 5X has been in the news for user issues. To note, soon after its launch in October, some Nexus 5X users also reported their handset displays had a yellow tint.