God Save My Shoes: Women take love of heels to new heights

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2059013480.jpg
Treading comfortably in my rubber flip flops, I was judged.

"Where are your heels?" said one woman, stomping past in a pair of gold skyscrapers, while others were more polite and said they simply didn't have time to stop.

Shoe shops at Abu Dhabi's Marina Mall were on high alert as women from across the UAE gathered the girls and headed, heel-ready, for the women-only screening of God Save My Shoes on Tuesday evening.

Part of the Abu Dhabi Film Festival's special programme, the film documentary explores "the intimate relationship between women and their shoes — from a psychological, sociocultural and erotic perspective", according to director Julie Benasra.

Manolo Blahnik

The dominant duo of the luxury shoe biz, Christian Louboutin and Manolo Blahnik, both make an appearance, as well as celeb collections from Fergie, Kelly Rowland, Dita Von Teese and Beth Shak, a professional poker playing mum who keeps 1,200 pairs of heels in her Pennsylvania home.

Believe me, there's a reason this was a women-only show. Guys just wouldn't get it. We met some of the fans — and their shoes.

Elena Ventura, Melani Miral, Janica Belonguel and Cynthia Garcia all went for black and were not ready to reveal their sources.

Protective about sources

"It's difficult to buy shoes nobody else is wearing," said Ventura. "We buy most of our shoes in the Philippines and that helps. Women are very protective about their sources," she laughed. All the women claimed to be wearing brands "you just wouldn't know". Cunning.

Natalie Kardoush, from Jordan but born and raised in the UAE, was more than willing to share.

"These are from Zara and I love them. The high street stores are doing some great shoes right now. I have a borderline obsession with shoes, yes. That's the best way to describe it. Would I lie about how much a pair cost to someone close to me? I've done it before and I'll do it again."

‘All about heels'

Already tall, in their four-inch heels you could see Katie Mcintosh and Becky Carswell coming for miles.

"It's all about heels for us. Never leave home without them," said Carswell. "I picked up a pair of ballet slippers a year ago and they are still in the box in my closet," added Mcintosh. "I love Zara, Nine West and Banana Republic."

Karam Annab has just moved to the UAE from Jordan.

"An essential part of my apartment hunt is whether or not there is enough space to store all my shoes. I'm too scared to count how many pairs I actually have, but I know the number would be overwhelming. I always try to find a balance between comfort and fashion, but in the end style will always win."

Monique Namphy, Virginia Tait and Najat Hage opted for a mix of flats and heels.

Addiction

"I have an addiction, yes," admitted Hage right out of the gate. "These are from Bloomingdale's in Chicago from Boutique 9. Love them."

Tait, wearing Cole Haan, was a little more guarded. "I have a moderate collection. I would probably lie to a loved one about how much I spend on shoes."

Namphy was all about comfort for a night at the movies. "I can do heels with the best of them, but tonight I just wanted to be comfy."
[/img][/COLOR]