Globalization and the Diminishing of Decency?

pink puma

Elite
Hey UNPians :D, how u guys doing :ghug

Alright, well as some of you may know, I'm going into law so I'm really interested in things like politics and international relations.

Globalization is an extremely interesting phenomenon because it encompasses the entirety of the world. It seeks to spread modernity to every corner of the earth. Whether or not this is actually happening can be debated. The fundamental purpose behind globalization though, is to spread not only notions of industrialization, but also the values, culture, and language that is found in the western society to traditional societies. Globalization can therefore be said to have a "homogenizing" effect where the values present in our western society are extended across the world to countries that are very rich in culture like India, China, Africa, etc.

Globalization's presence can be felt in India through the idea of "McDonalization". A walk down a city street reveals flashy signs, KFC, Pizza Hut, The Gap, HMV, and all of the common brands, stores, and restaurants found in The United States and developed countries. Despite this, it can be argued that globalization has had a negative impact on the culture of countries such as India.

As the younger generations grow up, "cool" is defined as looking and being everything that globalization brings. This would mean being able to speak not only English, but being able to wear the western brand name clothing, listening to rap/hip-hop etc. This is even found in bhangra/punjabi music which has lately taken a twist to a rap hip-hop style. Furthermore, simply by watching punjabi/hindi music videos, one can how much our videos in punjabi/hindi are beginning to resemble music videos from the Western society, with half naked women, as it no longer "cool" to incorporate fully traditionally dressed indian women into these videos.

Although some music artists have still kept the traditional touch, such as Gurdas Mann Ji and many others, the latest are of course adapting a much modern style.

So here is my question to you guys:
Do you think that globalization is eroding the culture and values found in our home country? Do you think the younger generations will be able to hold on to the values that our parents have tried so hard to teach us? Or do you think that modernity is simply the way the world is going and that there is no stopping to it? Is decency at all being eroded by the strong influence of western culture?

I would love to hear what you have to say about this topic, as it can be quite debatable. I would appreciate your discussion.

Thanks everyone :cool:

- Pink Puma :rose

Angel_Eyes

Done Deal !
Pums i agree to ur thoughts pretty much, globlaiztion is not just defining the industrial, technological, scientific aspects, but it is rather defining the life-style of the world, and that life-style can only be western, coz obviosuly western people are never gonna adopt our traditional ways, rather they been pretty successful at influencing our youth to live their kinda life-style.
My personal thinking is that the technology had brought us so close in todays world that we pretty much live in one world. Back in the days people were defined as where they lived, But todays person lives in 5 diff cities of the world, and for him the world has become just one place to live at. I totally agree that we need to come to a standard where people can understand each other globally, but yapp on the cost of that we are hurting our traditions. I wish if people could take the good side of globalization to walk step in step with these developed countries but still hold on to their traditional values. But thats a very hard thing for a common man to not get influenced by that.

I have this one paaji pums, he is a very successful lawyer here (recently got presedential award in his field of law), and we r very close, and we talk a lot abt politics, religion, world and stuff, I asked him that same question, I was like where is the world going with all this, and especially us indians?
his answer made sense, he said just as in finance there's infaltion and deflation, just as in life there are ups n down, just as that generations change as well. he said there's always a time in history if u look back at civilizations, generations wake up raising their own voices and getting back to their own traditions. it might not happen in our generation, but down the lane maybe one-or-two genarations that will follow us they will realize that this is not what their forefathers grew up with and they will wanna go back to their own traditions, and thats how the history's been and they always say history repeats itself..........so lets hope for the best.....

But at this point, if we can only save our traditions, culture in ourselves, and our families, thats still making a lot of diff....

Thanks for ur concern and props to ur intelligent brain :hug

pps309

Prime VIP
So here is my question to you guys:
Do you think that globalization is eroding the culture and values found in our home country? Do you think without globalization it would not have been erodrd? Do you think the younger generations will be able to hold on to the values that our parents have tried so hard to teach us? Does we ever hold to all the values, wealth we had in past? (sone di cheeri, rule on lahore) Or do you think that modernity is simply the way the world is going and that there is no stopping to it? Ofcourse there is no stopping to it. What modernity means to urself matters? Is decency at all being eroded by the strong influence of western culture? Do you mean to say westens are not decent? They don't hold door for you when u r coming behind.....did they ever miss a chance to say Hi or thanks to you.

I would love to hear what you have to say about this topic, as it can be quite debatable. I would appreciate your discussion.

Thanks everyone :cool:

- Pink Puma :rose

No, I will not say that globalization is the factor for diminishing of decency.
We wear cool clothes....nike adidas or say allen solly...that does not make us indecent.
Indecency comes from behavior of person.
A guy/gal wearing western casuals can be decent and a guy/gal wearing Indian formals can be very indecent.

For indecency please do not blame globalization....please blame the media to some extent, blame the society to some extent.....we are hypocrites we want to do indecent:y but don't want that anyone see us:nerd , if we catch someone else doing that then we make hooo-hahalah

Why you see bad points in western culture.....These guys follow rules, follow traffic, atleast they have courage to speak truth.....avoid bribe and all dat.

We saw that some afro-american do rap using all those words (so all cool and funky like motherfu**** fu**..blah blah) and we like that and catch it. We do not see How good citizens of west keep their country, streets and environment healthy.
We notice one black and white swearing at each other but we neglect how people on the road side acknowledge us with Hi/hello even they do not know us.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
Globalization's presence can be felt in India through the idea of "McDonalization". A walk down a city street reveals flashy signs, KFC, Pizza Hut, The Gap, HMV, and all of the common brands, stores, and restaurants found in The United States and developed countries. Despite this, it can be argued that globalization has had a negative impact on the culture of countries such as India.
:wah