Ganguly joins Mudgal committee probe

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Former India captain Sourav Ganguly joined the Supreme Court-appointed Justice (Retd) Mukul Mudgal committee probing the allegations of betting and spot-fixing during the sixth Indian Premier League.

Ganguly specially flew down to New Delhi attend the proceedings as the full committee met for the first time.

"Yes, Sourav joined the investigations today. It was the first time after his appointment that we met in person. The meeting took place at my office and I would like to think that discussions were indeed very fruitful," Justice Mudgal said.

"We had already sent the relevant documents that Sourav would have required to study before our meeting. He came well prepared. Beyond that I am not in a position to divulge anymore information. From now on any meeting of the committee will be held in my office," he said.

Other members in the committee are Additional Solicitor General L Nageswara Rao, senior advocate Niloy Datta and senior IPS officer B B Mishra.

The Supreme Court had directed the probe committee to take a cricketer of 'impeccable integrity' on board to assist them on the cricketing matters related to the scandal.

Ganguly was the obvious choice as most of his other contemporaries like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Anil Kumble are all part of various IPL franchises.