First Suicide Squad reviews are in. It’s grim. David Ayer has responded

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
_594d9114596811e680327fbe78900359-1.jpg

The embargo has been lifted on Suicide Squad reviews, and to the shock of pretty much everyone, they haven’t been too kind.
This was the movie that was supposed to save the DC Universe after the Batman v Superman debacle. It was armed with a killer cast (no pun intended) and even better trailers. But it currently rests at a ‘rotten’ 35% on the review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes.

devin faraci @devincf
SUICIDE SQUAD review coming: DC fans no longer have grounds to mock Marvel movies. Faceless hordes, sky portals, quips - it's Marvel lite.
9:33 PM - 2 Aug 2016

david ehrlich ✔ @Davidehrlich
SUICIDE SQUAD is awful, in part because it isn’t nearly *bad* enough. my review: Suicide Squad Review: Margot Robbie Can?t Save The Latest DC Disaster | IndieWire … pic.twitter.com/XI5tiwIX4m

david ehrlich ✔ @Davidehrlich
SUICIDE SQUAD has the most embarrassing villain of any superhero movie ever, and i will not entertain any debate on this very serious matter
9:53 PM - 2 Aug 2016

Germain Lussier ✔ @germainLussier
Suicide Squad: A mess. Some fun elements and good performances but mostly it's overstuffed, tonally awkward and narratively unsatisfying.
9:30 PM - 2 Aug 2016

Director David Ayer, who was only two days ago part of a controversy when he yelled “F*** Marvel” at the Suicide Squad premiere, tweeted a response to the reviews.

David Ayer ✔ @davidAyerMovies
Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas - Emiliano Zapata
9:59 PM - 2 Aug 2016

“Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas,” he tweeted, which, when translated, means: “I’d rather die standing than live on your knees.”
“Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life,” he continued.

David Ayer ✔ @davidAyerMovies
Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life. ❤️
1:19 AM - 3 Aug 2016

Problems began when the film entered an unusually lengthy reshoots. Devin Faraci of Birth.Movies.Death. reported that the tone of the film was not at all like the one they were showing in the trailers and that extra footage was being shot to fix it.

Suicide Squad releases on Friday. It stars Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Jai Courtney, Joel Kinnaman and Viola Davis.